• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Dana 30 Disco Conversion Kit

Dundy

NAXJA Forum User
I bought the Rustys Dana 30 Seal and Block off plate kit and have run into a dilemma. The OD of the seal is 2 inches and the id of the tube near the carrier is 1.965 inches. I don't know if the seal will fit into the tube or if I would have to dremel out the tube a little. What is your opinion on this?

Here is the link for the Rusty's kit

Run to Napa, buy 2 OEM dana 30 seals.

Pull the carrier, and dremel the surface behind the passenger side carrier bearing until an OEM seal seats correctly.

Install two new seals.

Boom.

The 'conversion' seals don't have the plastic ramp that the OEM ones do, to guide the shaft through the seal; so you go through seals.. not to mention they don't seal as well as the OEM stuff.

good idea. thanks.

I've done the work two weeks ago, not with the kit but OEM seal... it doesn't fit as is; on a '91 d30 axle, the right side is a bit smaller I guess the left has a light machining.
I've removed the metal slide for the axle and installed just the seal, it seats perfectly without any leak.

marcoleo said:
I've done the work two weeks ago, not with the kit but OEM seal... it doesn't fit as is; on a '91 d30 axle, the right side is a bit smaller I guess the left has a light machining.
I've removed the metal slide for the axle and installed just the seal, it seats perfectly without any leak.

Thats why use a dremel (a small grinder)

you have to make room for it to fit.

ya U'r correct, but I'd preferred to not use dremel.... I'm not able to make freehand a good seat surface able to prevent leak....

Its easier than it sounds, particularly if you add a little RTV.

I've got a a little bit of a problem now. I dremeled the tube to the same size as the driver's side tube and installed 2 driver's side seals. The driver's side is no problem but the passenger side leaks pretty bad. The shaft is smaller than the seal is. Any opinions or replacement seals. The tube is 2.07 inches now but I don't know the size of the shaft. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

buy oem seal (use the code of the driver side to order), I guess you have used an intermediate right seal (Shaft Size=1.628), that has inside diameter bigger than the bearing seal (Shaft Size=1.19")......
remember to put as suggested by cal some rtv on the dremeled surface too

Last edited:
Back