• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one side done what do you think

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
so i completed one side. trimed rear fenders till pinch seam. trimmed front fenders. then used spray on bedliner in a spray can to do the whole side from the body line down.

i will post before photos later.

what do you think
photostream

Looks good, but why did you trim it so much with such small tires?

Planning ahead?

~Scott

yes planning ahead. i did the rear as much as possible with out having to weld and did what i though looked good on the front. i know the tires are small. i know i will have larger tires eventually at least now i can fit maybe 31. then with a lift for sure 31s maybe 32s or 33s. dont plan on going larger then a 3 to 4.5 inch lift.

i think i may still put on flares either the stock ones or tj flares or aftermarket. would love tube style fender flares.

thank you i used a grinding wheel to cut with then also smooth of the edges. didnt take two long maybe one hour per fender.

if anyone else wants this done get in contact with me i will help out.

Well I have 31's on my rig...and after trimming I'm starting to wish I had 32's or 33's as they would fill out the wheel wells a lot better.

I just finished trimming today myself (front yesterday, rear today) and there's a LOT of room.

~Scott

P.S. How did you do the paint job? I hope to do the same with mine about an inch from the edge...as my paint chipped pretty bad where I folded it.

my only issue, i would of cut the fenders flush with the bottom of the corner lights.

i plan on cutting the bottom front corner off soon.

all i did as far as painting went. was masked and used newspaper. saned the paint just to make it rough then used a can of spray on bed liner. at first i just did 3 inches around the fender line, following the curve. then i decided to just paint everything below the body line crease that goes all the way around the cherokee.

i used 2 different types of bedliner.
-plasti-cote
-dupli-color

the plati-cote is rougher and blends well. but one can did 2 coats of one fender and was gone.

dupli-color was harder to blend you could see the paint lines. so it took several passes to make one uniform coat. it is also not as rough. if you like that. but one can coated 2 fenders with 2 coats. so it covered more then the plasti-cote.

i plan on using the dupli-color to build two full coats or layers around the whole bottom of the jeep. since it seems to cover more square footage. but then i plan on doing a light coat with the plasti-cote because i like the rough look and feel.

duplicolor is about 9 dollars a can and plasticoat is about 11.

i will be using a total of 8 cans of the duplicolor that will give me two thick coats all the way around.

and then 2 cans of the plasti-cote to get my rough look and feel.

total that is about 94 dollars of bedliner spray.
i got the xj for 500.

so i will be in 594 into my xj and so far i think it looks great.

Nicely done, better to just trim as much as possible the first time. Looks similar to mine, you took a little more off of the front than I did. Good call on the Plasti-Cote, I just roughed my edges up and hit 'em with gloss Rustoleum. It helps that my XJ is black.;)

Back