• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double & single triangualed??

Single-triangulated usually offers easier packaging at the expense of ground clearance and a steeper roll axis (more flex steer).

Double-triangulated is harder to fit and usually requires more fabrication and design work, but has better clearance and a flatter roll axis.

Since this sort of applies.....

If one were to do any link set up that does not require a track bar, if it were a steering axle, you could not use conventional steering. Is that correct?

IE, have to use full hydro, rather then steering box with inverted T set up?

Double Triangulated: (Two triangles)

Picture%201396.jpg

Single Triangulated: (One triangle and two lower straight arms)

0708or_13_z+1966_toyota_fj40_land_cruiser+rear_suspension.jpg

Starboard M said:
Since this sort of applies.....

If one were to do any link set up that does not require a track bar, if it were a steering axle, you could not use conventional steering. Is that correct?

IE, have to use full hydro, rather then steering box with inverted T set up?

Correct... no panhard (track bar), no draglink.
Billy

whats the benefits of one vs the other?

oviously double is more fab time, but is it worth the extra time spent?

also, am i better off making my own cross member with link mounts, or is the unibody strong enough to old the mounts?

if i go straight to the unibody, im guessing ill need to reinforce it?...

saybye said:
whats the benefits of one vs the other? Strength

oviously double is more fab time, but is it worth the extra time spent? I would think so

also, am i better off making my own cross member with link mounts yes, or is the unibody strong enough to old the mounts? No

if i go straight to the unibody, im guessing ill need to reinforce it? Yes...

saybye said:
whats the benefits of one vs the other?

oviously double is more fab time, but is it worth the extra time spent?

Read my post #2.

I did double-tri on mine. No regrets. You have better ground clearance and better performance overall, at the expense of having to do more fabrication work from the start.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you're going to wheel. Hell, the entire concept of going to a 4-link rear in an XJ may or may not be worth it. Consider this:

- What are you looking to improve over the existing setup?
- What are your biggest complaints with the existing setup?
- What are you looking to be able to do with your XJ?

If the first thing that comes to mind is "more flex", stop thinking about 4-links and either get lockers or learn how to wheel. You can get plenty of articulation out of leaf springs if you set them up properly.

Here's how mine looks underneath:

DSC01617.JPG

and a shot that shows the undercarriage ground clearance:

n24800499_31139706_1223.jpg

You won't get that with straight lowers, but you can get it with leaf springs.

Needless to say, I'm an advocate of the double-triangulated setup.

Back