• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump overheating

AZRockRunner

Nobody
ok, this has happened a few times now and I wanna try and resolve it before I shoot my XJ.
It starts and runs perfect but after a half day of wheeling in the 90 + degree heat, the fuel pump gets louder and louder and then finally stops running altogether.
I can pour fuel into the jeep or let it sit for an hour or so and it will start right up and work perfect again.
This has happened with as much as a half a tank of fuel in there.
Fuel pump could be original 1990 for all I know, I have never replaced it. If I end up replacing it I will go with an OEM unit per the recommendation of a few mechanics I know.
I just dont want to replace it if the new one will do the same thing. Do all the XJ fuel pumps get hot and quit for awhile, or is there something else going on here?

Lata

Specs:
1990 Renix
Replaced motor with less than 70k on it, auto, 34" tires and 7" lift, locked locked with 488 gears.

does your exhaust dump in front of the gas tank??

I was thinking the same thing,

When i had my exhaust cut (without a turndown) it shot right at the fuel pump. That was the only time my pump ever whined and would cut out after a while like you described.

Nope. In fact I thought it was that about a year ago and had the exhaust completely rerouted farther away from the fuel tank and rear leaf hangers to avoid any problems.

Yeah id replace the pump...

I've never heard of a normal pump overheating unless it was subjected to something causing the heat. (Like the exhaust)

Do the fuel lines run by down/cross pipe in the engine bay on a Renix motor?

On my 92 I had similar problems and have wrapped the fuel lines with thermal tape.

They run down the drivers side of the jeep but I fail to see why that would cause the fuel pump which sits inside the tank to overheat. I will look and see if they are to close but not sure how that could be the fuel pump issue.
Thanks for all the great replies though. Its nice to know that people still read this stuff.

AZRockRunner said:
They run down the drivers side of the jeep but I fail to see why that would cause the fuel pump which sits inside the tank to overheat. I will look and see if they are to close but not sure how that could be the fuel pump issue.
Thanks for all the great replies though. Its nice to know that people still read this stuff.

The fuel return line gets heated up and dumps hot fuel onto the fuel pump when it is returned to the tank.

Story of my problem

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=925195&highlight=fuel+pump

Last edited:
Back