• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this work - D30 question

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody told me that a D30 out of an older grand cherokee will work in a cherokee. Is that correct? If they do I have a 96 xj and the grand cherokee in question is a 93.

~Alex

I believe that ZJ 30 is LP.

So in that case, it will work but its not desirable over an HPD30.

The JY clocest to where I work doesn't have any XJ's around and the other ones in town seem to think they are made of solid gold, $400 to $700 for a stock D30.
I'm going to call the yards that are further away now.

~Alex

alex22 said:
The JY clocest to where I work doesn't have any XJ's around and the other ones in town seem to think they are made of solid gold, $400 to $700 for a stock D30.
I'm going to call the yards that are further away now.

~Alex

Dang. I gave my old housing from my 91 (HP, non-disco) away for free.

Damn!! Yeah, ZJ has all the same brackets, etc, just LP.

You should be able to find one for much cheaper than that!! I helped my mom's friend from work throw a new D30 in his 99 XJ, got a complete Dana 30 from another 99XJ with like 70k on it for 150 pulled! They had it on a forklift and helped get it into the back of the jeep!!

Also, if you want, my friend has a HP Dana 30 sitting in his backyard in Amherst, MA that he was gonna use but now won't be using. He was talking about selling it. PM me for his email if that sounds like something you'd be interested in....

A parts jeep found me today, I have to work out the details but I should have it by the middle of the week.

~Alex

zj d30 having the same brackets but is better to use one from xj donor:
them are all lp
most of them having cv axle shaft
the pinion output is much longer, about 3/4"
after '96 having on the pinion a plate for cv front driveshaft so U have to put u-joint joke
if you intend to regear U can't use a xj gear set it's completely different, not easy to find all gear ratio for them
the only pro is the easy to use caster adjustment system
so use xj or yj hp d30.....

Back