• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vent window lock replacement?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

On my "new" 89, the drivers side vent window lock is loose and the PO put a couple of coins under it to make it stop rattling around. Any ideas on how these are replaced or tightened down?

Looks like it is all there, but just loose.....

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Bob

The arm is held in place with a very small roll-pin in the bottom. If you can get that out, you can adjust it's position.

Plan B is buy a replacement latch from the dealer (about $50 here), cut the old one off, and install the replacement correctly.

OK...related question. My '89 vent window has lost it "friction". It seems that I need to open it further, so it will rest more closed. In other words, the windown free-wheels unless I push it open far...then it settles down (due to wind pressure) into an acceptable position.

Can I fix this?

I would guess that there is a problem with the spring tensioner under the vent window. You can remove the vent window pretty easily, inspect and/or repair the spring, or just install a replacement vent window.

There are instructions for this in this post

Back