• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Third brake light

falcon556 said:
Anybody know what year Chrysler started including the third brake light on the rear hatch?

Do you mean when did they start using a third brake light? Or when did they start putting it above the rear window?

-edit- Never mind...you beat me to it.

xjohnnyc said:
Do you mean when did they start using a third brake light? Or when did they start putting it above the rear window?

-edit- Never mind...you beat me to it.

In 97 it went all the way to the top abovethe window.
I am interested in the first year that the 3rd light appeared, which would mean the bottom of the window.
I am guessing sometime between 92 and 95.

PhotographerMike said:
From "Jeep Horizons"; "In 94 side-impact beams were added to the doors and roof was strengthened. The 3rd brakelight was added to the top of the liftgate as well."
My '96 has one.

There is a TV show called EUREKA. The sheriff uses a XJ without a third light, looks great and I and some friends were trying to figure out the year.
Thanks a lot.

My dad has a 94 and there is a 3rd light. I am not too sure what year it started though, I had an 88 with out one and my 99 has one.

Federal law required a 3rd brake light in SUV's, trucks and vans in 1994 (passenger cars in 86). Some manufacturers put them in their vehicles a year earlier than was mandated but the XJ got the required 3rd brake light in 94.

My 94 used to have one, my 92 does not. Don't know about 93s.

Great show. I knew that it was an older XJ, but I hadn't noticed the lack of a 3rd tail light. They really go an old one for that.

falcon556 said:
There is a TV show called EUREKA. The sheriff uses a XJ without a third light, looks great and I and some friends were trying to figure out the year.
Thanks a lot.

my 95 has one on the bottom of the hatch window.

Back