• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PAC Money

buschwhaked

NAXJA Forum User
It stands for Political Action Committee's. They are the special interests that everyone hates so much and McCain-Feingold Act was seeking to eliminate.

McCain has received $1.2M in PAC money while Obama has received $1,635. Hypocritical? To me, it seems that the candidate that advocates removing special interests from Washington politics has been bought by those same people. And money is still rolling in.

I'd rather have a candidate that doesn't owe anybody anything once elected than a candidate that ran his campaign based on the 'good ol boy' system.

McCain Data:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summary.php?cid=N00006424&cycle=2008

Obama Data:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summary.php?cid=N00006424&cycle=2008

Delve a little deeper in those pages. Both candidates have gotten a shitload of money from all kinds of contibutors, both individuals and corporations. They both each owe something to someone.

Naive.

Where do you think the million's of $$ it takes to run a major political campaign come from?

Yep, folks like you and me sending them $25. RIGHT!!!!

Just because the candidate did not take PAC does not mean the people who support him did not take PAC money. National Organization for Women, Teachers Unions, etc. All take PAC money and spend it on ads supporting and or destroying candidates.

Watch your TV for ads...that DON'T say "I'm Barrac Obama and I approved this message." Chances are it's a organization that supports Obama, but does has no economic ties to him.

JohnJohn said:
Just because the candidate did not take PAC does not mean the people who support him did not take PAC money. National Organization for Women, Teachers Unions, etc. All take PAC money and spend it on ads supporting and or destroying candidates.

Watch your TV for ads...that DON'T say "I'm Barrac Obama and I approved this message." Chances are it's a organization that supports Obama, but does has no economic ties to him.

Agreed. I looked all that up on the FEC website prior to posting this. Both candidates are about equal on spending by PAC's in support of (not direct support of) their campaigns. But either way, I respect a candidate who turns down their funds.

Oh, and if you go to the FEC website, you'll see exactly who donates to what and the number of individual small time donors to Obama's campaign dwarfs McCain's. The FEC doesn't even track donations less than $250 and he still blew him out of the water. So yes, you can raise hundreds of millions through small time donations.

Frankly though, I would rather see PAC's go away altogether, but McCain's open acceptance of their cash makes me think he's not the man to change that.

Oh, and I'm voting for Udall (mainly because I'm a Democrat) but also because Bob Schaffer seems to be totally bought and paid for by PAC's. Those commercials are so retarded and annoying.

I know you're getting them as well John. What do you think of Schaffer's obvious association with energy PAC's?

buschwhaked said:
I know you're getting them as well John. What do you think of Schaffer's obvious association with energy PAC's?

I couldn't care less about PAC money. In fact I have directly donated to a PAC before.

Have you ever bought anything from REI, from Conaco, a Credit Union, or even bought a car? If so you also have donated to a PAC. Stop listening to the news and the buzz words about who took money from who. Please don't be so naive and think that PAC money is not helping get Obama elected.

Companies make money, energy companies make money, if they didn't there wouldn't be any energy companies. I'm sure you're pissed that they have made "record profits". Look at the real numbers. If the price of oil is $100 a barrel and Exxon makes 10%, that's $10. If a barrel costs $150, then they make $15. It's still only 10%. Multiple that extra $5 by 1 billion barrels. Heck they made and "extra" 5 billion last quarter... No one seems to do the math that the cost of the products they are selling went up $50.

JohnJohn said:
I couldn't care less about PAC money. In fact I have directly donated to a PAC before.

Have you ever bought anything from REI, from Conaco, a Credit Union, or even bought a car? If so you also have donated to a PAC. Stop listening to the news and the buzz words about who took money from who. Please don't be so naive and think that PAC money is not helping get Obama elected.

Companies make money, energy companies make money, if they didn't there wouldn't be any energy companies. I'm sure you're pissed that they have made "record profits". Look at the real numbers. If the price of oil is $100 a barrel and Exxon makes 10%, that's $10. If a barrel costs $150, then they make $15. It's still only 10%. Multiple that extra $5 by 1 billion barrels. Heck they made and "extra" 5 billion last quarter... No one seems to do the math that the cost of the products they are selling went up $50.

I also have to laugh when the media calls exxon, shell, etc BIG OIL, they are the little boys on the block, Iraq made $87 BILLION in one quarter PROFIT, wtf, what Exxon made was pocket change to the real oil companies, Iraq, Iran, Saudi, Kuwait, etc, those a BIG OIL.

JohnJohn said:
:eek:, Buschwhaked, now we know who to really blame!

JohnJohn said:

Correction, the price, not production cost went up $50, somebody pocketed that $50, I just want to know who pocketed it, so I can get in on the deal! And don't tell me it was just the oil cartel countries, my money is on the ex Enron speculators back hard at work somewhere.

Last edited:
Ecomike said:

Correction, the price, not production cost went up $50, somebody pocketed that $50, I just want to know who pocketed it, so I can get in on the deal! And don't tell me it was just the oil cartel countries, my money is on the ex Enron speculators back hard at work somewhere.

Not really, they made their 10% profit, whether it's 10% of 50 a barrel or 10% of 140 a barrel. Should they have said 'well, seeing as how we are making so much should we cut our profit margin', knowing what it was doing to the US economy, yes, they should have but the CEO and board of directors would have been out on their asses faster than you can say snap... Just be real happy the federal govt does not tax percentage of price for a barrel of oil and uses a flat tax for a barrel, if they did a percentage then THEY would have an incentive to keep prices up there. There are probably some accountants in the federal govt that are pissed that the dollar is climbing again on the world market, make social security and their debts that much more insolvent.

Ecomike said:

The production cost probably went up because the oil company is being required to give it's minimum wage tanker driver:

- healthcare
- daycare for his/her 12 kids
- maybe property taxes went up on the drivers home to pay for a fledgling public shool system and he asked for a raise
- benefit coverage for his/her "partner"

Trickle down economics trickle down and UP. :twak: You can't have cheap prices and all these social programs. You are right someone has to pay for them. In this instant it's you...at the pump. It all eventually comes down to the consumer.

Back