• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Ratio/ speedometer Question

gage78

NAXJA Forum User
So I shattered the pin the spider gears ride on last week, and didn't find out what the problem was till saturday around 1230. By that time the salvage yards were closed and I had to settle for a 92 dana 35.
My question is this, I'm not sure if jeep used the same ratio front to rear, the tag was missing from the rear cover and since the gears were jammed in place I couldn't turn them to count the revolutions. the front tag says I had 3.73s

The rear end I swapped to has 3.07s so now the speedo is off about 10mph does anyone know if the make speedo gears for the ax5 that will correct this and if so which ones they would be?????

:lecture: What year & engine is your Jeep? 92 is the first year of the electronic speedo, it works through the ECU, 84/91 have a gear, 4wd speedos work of the t/c not the trans, do an advanced search. There is lots of info on this. Forget the speedo GET THE RIGHT GEARS!! Don't even think of using your 4wd. Your rig evidently has the rarest gears to come in an XJ[except for the 4.56] They are almost impossible to find. If your old dif is repairable, have it fixed. At least put a 3.07 in the front, but essentially you have gone from the most desirable factory 6 cyl ratio, to the worst. 3.07 is the stock ratio for your rig if it's a 4.0 AX15. If you do have a 3.73 D30 keep these gears, they are good stuff.

It's an 85 4wd 2 door, 2.5l with the ax5, and np207 transfer case
stock tire size is 215 75 r15
stock gears were 3.73 new gears are 3.07

It was an emergency fix, the pin broke a couple teeth off the ring gear as it bounced around the diff and caused enough damage to the carrier that the 2 spider gears that ride on the pin are jammed in place. Short of using a plasma cutter to get rid of the remaining piece of the pin I don't see it coming out anytime soon.

I was actually suprised with the acceleration with the 3.07s this is my daily driver, the 3.07s work better with my tranny, first gear is actually usable as opposed to being basically a granny low. I'm actually considering swapping the front to match and leaving it that way.

I'll keep this one as a daily driver and get a 4.0 to wheel

Last edited:
That seems like a good way to go. 3.07 is probably real easy to find in the wrecking yard and cheap . you must have a disco 30, right? That should make it even cheaper to buy. Somewhere I've seen a thread on older XJ speedo gears that had good clear info, try an advanced search maybe.

Last edited:
Back