• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shafts - ZJ/XJ

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 Cherokee XJ originally came with ABS but sometime ago the front axle shafts were replaced with newer axle shafts. The problem is, the newer shafts do not have the ABS rings that the old shafts had. I'd like to get my ABS back, I found a set of front axle shafts from a 1994 Grand Cherokee ZJ with ABS. Will the shafts from the ZJ work in my XJ? Is it a direct swap? Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the reply. So the shafts are exactly the same including all the ABS components? I'd like to get the ABS back for on road driving.

You could just put the tone rings on your current shafts...

If they're Ujoint shafts in the ZJ, then they're the same thing. Don't throw the CV shafts in there!!

mjma said:
You could just put the tone rings on your current shafts...

If they're Ujoint shafts in the ZJ, then they're the same thing. Don't throw the CV shafts in there!!
2X, I spaced out on some ZJ shafts are cv[they still fit though] I just try to pretend they don't exist.

Last edited:
You might check that they have the same u-joints. I think the ZJs all used the larger u-joint size though. I believe the full-time xfer case came with CVs?

If you are missing the tone rings and your ABS is not throwing a check engine light or ABS light I'm going to guess that the person that replaced the shafts also totally deactivated the ABS system.......

Thanks for the replies, it looks like it does have CV shafts. Would the ABS rings from a 1995 YJ work? Are the rings different between Jeeps or are they all the same?

IMHO, it is worth having ABS, as it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to disable before you hit a trail. just pull the motor fuse, and poof! no ABS. throw it back in when you are airing up your tires. so worth it, i just finished cutting my D44 flange to accept the ABS sensors for a ZJ disk swap

Back