• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get my feet wet

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
and let me know about Diesels

I am thinking of doing a very different conversion for my XJ. Right now I am in the expoloratory stage with this idea and I am sure you experts can help me get my feet wet and learn alot about doing up a Diesel in a XJ.

I want to do a "Caterpillar" Diesel, I know its heavy and not as powerful as the Cummins or Perkins. I like CAT and am thinking if this can work out it will be very unique.

My Jeep is a 1994 XJ 4dr. with a good running 4L 5sp, with Dana30/Chrysler 8.25 set up. The Jeep is RUST free, but has high mileage (383K)

My theme is to make it strong and heavy.

This is the motor I am thinking about :

C3.4 NA 47 63 LEHH6415-00

You can find it on this stie:

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37557&x=7

and its the 17th motor down on the list. click it and all the stats come up.

So is this Possible? what issues will I run into?

Give me the goods!

Thanks! :)

anything is possible, how much money do you have?

G.Q. Jeeper said:
My theme is to make it strong and heavy.
I understand the "strong", but i don't understand the "heavy" :dunno:

Any particular reason??

btw - anything can be done. Although, it's going to take a lot of time and effort.

E

Then put in a stroker, more cost effective and EASIER. If I did the whole diesel conversion and wanted to be "unique" I would go with a VW 1.9L from an old rabbit. About as spectacular as that CAT would be.
Sure, you could dump a shit-ton of money into the CAT but really you'd be stuck with an underperforming engine and alot of sunk cash. Unless you got one hell of a deal on it.

Really I encourage being unique and different but there are better ways to do it. You're approach is like you're going emo on us or something.

Look out for something mo' diffrunt if you wanna be unique. At least something that will perform better and give you a good bang for your buck.

If you're gung-ho on that CAT then I wish you luck, but really I see better options for you out there.

NOTE: I just did my first stroker build/install. Time consuming if you don't plan completely. I got lots of shit together an a timely manner but forgot little things......the devil's in the details.

If I can do a stroker, I think ANYONE with the time and a little money (seems to have been cost effective) can sucessfully do one. Really, just try.

EDIT: If you're really stuck on the CAT then go with the one that is one up from it. It's turbo so you get better power from a smaller engine. 2/3 the size and has a little more output. Just a thought. Plus whats more unique than a turbocharged CAT?

Last edited:
Back