• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's To 35's to much?

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
theres a guy what wants to trade his 35x13.5 Toyo Open countrys for some 33's would these put to much stress on my stock 30/35 with open axles. and i dont do too much rock crawling mostly just rutted out trails. also what kinda MPG would i get with these. 1990 Automatic. thanks

Those are probably to much for your D35. What gear ratio do you have in your axles? I wouldnt go any bigger than 32's with the D35.

My cousin was running his stock 30/35 on 35X12.5 for 2-3 years without breaking anything. He did only mild stuff and broke a front axle shaft u joint. Im just saying it can be done. But I know others who have broken stuff with stock size tires going to the supermarket.

Last edited:
no trust for the 35... oh and on an auto trans with stock gears and 35s.. you will get probobly below 10mpg. do NOT do it. also, youll be burning up your trans.

TwistedcaB said:
well i have 33's right now. and im thinkin bout doin the Wagoneer Dana 44 swap when i get some money. how quick would it burn out my trans?

Your transmission will hold up just fine with the proper gear ratio in the diffs.

I would say from some experience here that the extra 2" would be quite a difference for your trans. and axles with proper gearing and maybe axle upgrades. Not to forget mentioning steering as well. That's a big tire man and some pretty small axles. No offense to those running that set up. I'm sure some do get away with this, but I would not recommend it. Not to discourage you though. :wave:

jmop said:
Your transmission will hold up just fine with the proper gear ratio in the diffs.

yeahh.. WITH the proper gear ratio, but thats like $1000, im just saying you shouldnt throw 35s on a stocker..

I'd be more worried about lack of power on road with 35"s & 3.55. You'll have what they call leisurely acceleration. If you don't flog it too hard in low range your axles should hold up. Just don't do any serious wheeling. Pavement queens & posers run this setup all the time.

cherokee chuck said:
I'd be more worried about lack of power on road with 35"s & 3.55. You'll have what they call leisurely acceleration. If you don't flog it too hard in low range your axles should hold up. Just don't do any serious wheeling. Pavement queens & posers run this setup all the time.
LOL thats funny

Get ya some dana 35 spare axles and get yer done!!!! Sorry thats a trade mark
Well intill you can change it out with a better axle.
Nick

hanaxj87 said:
Get ya some dana 35 spare axles and get yer done!!!! Sorry thats a trade mark
Well intill you can change it out with a better axle.
Nick

Not really they have really weak ring and pinions and housings. Do yourself a favor and swap in a junk yard 8.25 with 29 spline shafts they are easy to find

Back