• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To block or not to block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
So, heres the story... I have a 98 XJ and have had a 2" budget boost on it for about 2 years now. (2 inch spacers, Shackles) I recently stuffed 31's under it and although I am having NO clearance issues, I want to go about an inch higher. I like my stock ride, its comfortable and I know how far I can take it... But im looking for an extra inch and go to a full on 3-3.5 inches. So my options for the front is replace the 2 inch spacer with a 3 inch, or new front 3" coils... Not a hard one to decide. But then there is the rear. AAL's or a simpe 1 or 1.5 inch block. I am on a budget... I know i can get the blocks in and secure with a torque wrench, so other than them slipping out and there being a chance of axle wrap, why are they so bad? Never run blocks before so give me any kind of info you have.

KEEP IN MIND... this kit is only temp until I get a second jeep and make this my trail rig.

heres a picture of it right now...

Blocks..........:scared: ..........NEVER......:twak: .......dangerous when wheelin your Heep!! Do yourself a favor and use the AAL's if your on a budget! If you could swing it I would seriously look around for cheap springs all around! There is bound to be something out there in the classifieds! Temp is a waste of money, throw away basicly! To each their own.....

ColoradoRaptor said:
Blocks..........:scared: ..........NEVER......:twak: .......dangerous when wheelin your Heep!! Do yourself a favor and use the AAL's if your on a budget! If you could swing it I would seriously look around for cheap springs all around! There is bound to be something out there in the classifieds! Temp is a waste of money, throw away basicly! To each their own.....

well ive read that blocks over 2 inches are dangerous and can give you probs... but a 1" - 1.5" block? just to gain an inch until I can afford a new lift after I get married (getting married in a few months and am on a crazy budget)... im really just trying to get another inch to truly clear these 31's I just threw on yesterday. I have some rubbing on the inside wheel well during tight turns.

Blocks are just bad period!! I had a W100 years ago that had blocks and let me tell ya they suck if you actually wheel your rig!! Never again, only springs!! Do not get me wrong, I do understand having a budget and getting married.................sadly the budget thing still sucks a**!! Being married sucks a** but hey I rushed into it.....my own fault!! Good luck with the marriage!! And good luck on your Heep, nice starting platform!!

Alot of us are on tight budgets with the economy the way it is now. But blocks are bad and that's why nobody runs them. You're best bet for a tight budget would be go to a JY and get the leafs from a 2wd dakota or s10 and make a bast**d pack for the rear. You can get anywhere up to 4 inches of lift in the back using stock shackles.

You can also use stock xj leafs to make a bastard pack, and plenty of local wheelers probably have a set out back rusting from when they bought a whole new leaf pack for thier XJ. A completely doubled pack (minus the main) will give you ~3". Mix and match for more or less, or cut the eyes off the extra main leaf for more fun.

Usually over sized tires on stock wheels rub on the lower control arms. Lift will not remedy this situation, wheel spacers or new wheels will correct it.

ColoradoRaptor said:

Oh just stop with the BS already. Blocks work just fine if you're not putting huge ones in. Get up over 2" and things start to get shady. Check your U-bolt torque like you should to keep them from loosening up and put a traction bar on to help with axle wrap...and there won't be any problems. Blocks don't magically crumble to dust on a whim and won't fold your Jeep like a taco. :rolleyes:

ECKSJAY said:
put a traction bar on to help with axle wrap...and there won't be any problems.
yes, because people putting on blocks really have the know-how to install a traction bar (which, practically nobody makes, and nobody makes a bolt on kit)
so yeah.... save money by using blocks, then install a traction bar.... MAKES A LOT OF SENSE

how about this? get the leafs the first time, theyre not THAT expensive

ALSO, i get the occasional 'why are blocks so bad? i see them on full size trucks at the junkyard all the time' from friends and family.... the reason why blocks are so bad IN AN XJ, is because the xj has somewhat soft leafs, combine soft, flexy leafs with blocks... and you WILL experience axle warp. In a full size truck, with MASSIVE leafs... it works. not so in an xj

SO yeah, fuckit! run em. but dont say you were not warned.

xcm said:
yes, because people putting on blocks really have the know-how to install a traction bar (which, practically nobody makes, and nobody makes a bolt on kit)
so yeah.... save money by using blocks, then install a traction bar.... MAKES A LOT OF SENSE

The concept of flat springs is lost on you, so I won't even begin to explain it. :D You've obviously got it all figured out and nobody will change your mind. I never said anything about saving money, I was replying to Captain Bullshit's 'never' comment. :nono:

Why is everyone so uptight? Gas prices? :twak:

xcm said:
what concept? that blocks/aal's cause flat/inverted leafs? oh, i understand that concept.

Get teh 8" tall half-moon springs then. Some people like their light little Jeepies to ride like trucks. :looser:

btw, blocks and ecksjay, sitting in a tree, F-S-C-K-ING!
i think they should get a room!

jk
OK, back on topic, it doesnt look like from the thread that he wants to install a traction bar,or a real lift kit. Are blocks still OK with you ecksjay? in this situation?
blocks work for some things, but why not avoid them if possible?

I've had 2" blocks under the rear of my jeep Since winter. I've had no problems, and I do wheel my Jeep, nothing crazy but stuff a stock Jeep couldn't tackle. I have the same U joint as before and it's still tight, the Quadratec Leafs look new, no bending or show of premature wear. Honestly, if you have some worn out leafs I wouldn't but in my case i had to put a set of new stock leafs under there soI had a car and then threw blocks under there. No issues yet.

camarors8992 said:
I've had 2" blocks under the rear of my jeep Since winter. I've had no problems, and I do wheel my Jeep, nothing crazy but stuff a stock Jeep couldn't tackle. I have the same U joint as before and it's still tight, the Quadratec Leafs look new, no bending or show of premature wear. Honestly, if you have some worn out leafs I wouldn't but in my case i had to put a set of new stock leafs under there soI had a car and then threw blocks under there. No issues yet.
dude, its hardly fall!, your arguing longevity of a lift method you havent even had a full year? the MAIN drawback to blocks/aal's is sag over time... and axle wrap
yes, you might get longer use out of those leafs, because theyre new.
the original poster has OEM 10 year old springs more then likely
you might want to see my earlier post about them working for some people, but not others, so avoid them if possible... why didnt you just buy some leafs with some lift on them?

Last edited:
xcm said:
btw, blocks and ecksjay, sitting in a tree, F-S-C-K-ING!
i think they should get a room!

jk
OK, back on topic, it doesnt look like from the thread that he wants to install a traction bar,or a real lift kit. Are blocks still OK with you ecksjay? in this situation?
blocks work for some things, but why not avoid them if possible?

Your reading comprehension stinks. I like your rage though, are you a roider or is it just 'little man' complex, Napoleon? :roflmao:

I believe I said he could install a traction bar and there won't be any problems. :read: I'm also pretty sure I never said that you "ZOMG HAVE TO" install one. I've been wrong before.

Oh, and since this thread is lacking real tech...I'll share some from 2004. :)

SurfXJSnow, have you considered sourcing another set of stock springs and building a hybrid pack? My first lift past a longer shackle was a pack made of a couple stock XJ ones. That was back in 2000 and my buddy still runs them on his beater XJ.

Goatman said:
So, you're adding the Dakota leaf pack to your XJ main leaf? I believe the Dakota pack (main leaf) is longer than the XJ, so you'd have to move the front spring hanger forward to use the whole Dakota pack.

Here's some general info on making the rear leaf pack work well. To show that I know what I'm talking about, I have only used home built rear leaf packs, and here's a couple of pics to show the balance between front and rear. This pic is with stock length leaves in the back and RE ZJ coils in the front.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

To get a leaf spring pack to ride well and flex, the friction in the pack needs to be minimized. Make sure the shackle bolts and front spring bolt aren't too tight, you should be able to turn them with an end wrench.....snug, but not tight. There is considerable friction between the leaves, especially after they get rusted and gunked up. Go to any local spring shop and get plastic liner and use it full length between all the leaves. Wire brush and sand down each leaf and paint it with a good quality paint, I use an epoxy paint that comes in a spray can that is very tough. If you end up short on liner, or can't find any, at least clean and paint the leaves, use a plastic end pad on every leaf, and use a piece of plastic in the center of each leave about as long as the spring plate. This will allow a gap between each leaf after the u-bolts get tightened down and will reduce friction, but the gap can get filled up with mud and still rust eventually, but will be better than the leaves actually touching each other. It's still smoother with the full length liners if you can do it. There are two types of liner, one is flat, and the other has small edges on it like an I beam. The flat will work itself out between the leaves, so I only use it in the middle leaves that have the spring clamps to hold them in. Between the lower and upper leaves I use the stuff with the edge on it so it stays put. Take a cold chisel and notch the edge of the liner for the u-bolts before you install the spring packs.

Generally, more leaves and flatter leaves will give you better flex. The flatter springs will droop more, since a pack with higher arch is already arched, not much more to give, and a flatter spring can droop (arch) a bunch. People talk bad about blocks, but I like them. I build the leaf pack to handle the basic lift and load, but not too stiff to ride nice and flex, and then level out the rig for desired lift with blocks. This approach requires a traction bar, since flatter leaves with less friction along with blocks will increase the potential for spring wrap, which will destroy a good leaf pack in a hurry.

The other thing is to have loose spring clamps. You need leaves that have the U shaped clamp that is riveted to the leaf, with a roller on the top. If you have the U shaped clamps that are riveted on the bottom, but bent over at the top, straighten them out. You need spring clamps to keep the leaves aligned, but you don't want the clamp to squeeze the spring together or limit them sliding. You can run the clamps open on the top if you have a lighter rear end and smaller tires, and a good traction bar, but you are risking breaking a main leaf. With larger tires and a heavy rear end the main leaf will drop too much and decrease both vehicle performance and spring life. The best is to keep a bolt through the top of the clamps, across the spring, but lengthen them enough to allow good movement of the main leaf in droop.....but not too much.

It doesn't much matter what leaves you use, out of what vehicle, or how much arch they have. Once the center bolt is tightened, they all come together and each leaf adds it's force to the pack. Just be sure to space out the length of each leaf as evenly as possible, trimming the length of a leaf if neccessary. This is where the full length liners come in handy because you don't need to worry about cutting off the hole in the end of the leaf that holds the plastic friction pad. It will take some trial and error to get it the way you want it, but removing springs isn't hard. Get a supply of center bolts, and while you're at it get some new u-bolts, before you start. If you run a big rear end with big tires, it's also wise to increase the size of the u-bolts from 1/2" to 9/16". Any local spring shop can whip you up a set of u-bolts while you wait.

So, loose shackle bolts, loose spring clamps, full length liners, and relatively flat spings, and you'll have a spring that can carry weight but still flex and ride good. My current springs are 1/2 ton Chevy with the stock XJ bottom leaf, and an MJ main leaf, which is five inches longer than the XJ main leaf. I also seem to always have one or two leaves more in the pass side pack than the drivers side pack, which I think comes from the torque loads of low gears, and possibly from the action of the traction bar, or from my old swing out tire carrier sitting open in camp.......don't know for sure, but there is nothing wrong with having more leaves in one side than the other if that's what it takes to even out the lift height side to side.

Hope this helps, have fun,

yes, but he is not the goatman! and he isnt doing half the work goatman did to make blocks work for him. (like building up custom leafs)
hes on a fucking budgetboost, and i dont think you get that hes not on the same plane as goatman, nor does he have the same
goals/expectations/means

if you like blocks so much, and theyre so fine and dandy, why do you recommend he builds up a bastard pack?
not all xj's are built to the same spec, quit being a retard.

and for the record, to the OP, dont use the blocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back