• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP with 98 4.0 running issues

rubiconron

NAXJA Forum User
My Cherokee overheated a while back. Soooo, I had the head rebuilt. Changed the water pump, thermostat, and radiator. While I was putting it back together I broke the intake manifold. But I had another one so no big deal. I swapped it out. I also changed the oil and filter. When I fired the Jeep up, it red-lined and continues to do so when I crank it. What would cause this? I have checked and rechecked all of the sensors even swapped out the entire throttle body with sensors back to the originals and I also swapped the fuel rail and fuel injectors back with the originals. I drove the Jeep into the shop when I started so now I don't understand what could cause this because the only thing that is different is the manifold itself. The O2 sensor is plugged in as well.

Please does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron

The throttle cable is hooked up correctly. I don't see how the cable could have stretched. And even if it did stretch the lever on the throttle body would be moved to a different location.....where the butterfly is open all the time..... but it is in the normal closed position.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have an issue with the TPS....
Did you remove the TPS at some point....
When installing the TPS; it is possible to install it too far advanced giving the ECM false indication that the throttle plate is open....

I didn't remove the TPS from the Throttle body. I did unplug it and pulled the wiring out of the way as I removed the intake so I could remove the head.

What doesn't make sense is the fact that I have 2 TPSs and it doesn't matter which one is plugged in...I get the same reaction when I start it.

Thanks,
Ron

Back