• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade or not.

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 96 was in a wreck on the front right side. Needless to say the fender, front header panel, bumper, and tire were damaged. I've been rebuilding it and noticed the steering wheel not sitting straight at the home location. I tried getting it straight by adjusting the adjuster sleeve by the pitman arm and have run out of adjustment. The linkage seemed fine as I've driven the vehicle without the steering dampner and it held straight, didn't pull and ,did not even bumpsteer or Death Wobble at all. I've decided to replace it with new linkage and am undecided on getting the ZJ steering linkage for the upgrade as I will not lift this Jeep and it will be my family and towing vehicle. Is it best to do the upgrade or just replace with factory junk? I don't want to shell out a ton of cash on it. As I've already replaced ALL the suspension components with the upcountry stuff and all the brakes upgrading the backs to disk.

if its only for on the road, I would check the prices... if they are near the same, why not upgrade?
as for the adjustments, silly thing, but did you make sure the ignition was un-locked so the steering wheel could rotate freely.

The ZJ V8 tie rod is a direct bolt in much stronger replacment. It's not a swap specificly raised rigs, Any XJ can benifit from it. Are the ZJ parts more money new? It still must be less $ than the aftermarket stuff. And you could always buy used stuff & replace just the ends with new parts. You must have some problem with your front end if you can't center the wheel. I assume from the work you've done I don't need to ask if you are turning the adjuster in the right direction. It sounds like the drag link could be bent, if it was the tie rod it would be obvious & the toe in would be affected not the wheel.

Have you checked the frame alighnment? I hate to think that the unibody is tweeked... Some misalighnment (0.250"-0.375") is OK but major problems you may have to pay to get it fixed.

Ok upgrading sounds like a good idea. Anyone know where a good parts breakdown is? I'd like to get what I can at the boneyard and just replace the ends if I can.

scat said:
Have you checked the frame alighnment? I hate to think that the unibody is tweeked... Some misalighnment (0.250"-0.375") is OK but major problems you may have to pay to get it fixed.
Good call, An easy way to check is to measure the wheelbase on both sides with the wheels pointing straight. It should be within 1/8". This is assuming all your suspension bushings are good & you don't have adjustable control arms If you're not sure about the rear, measure from the front leaf spring bolt.

Back