• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no dash lighting

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
i just realized theres no lighting in the dash of my jeep. and i was really glad to have gotten home wil out being pulled over for speeding, or at least i thought i was speeding. i know there a two fuses missing in my fuse box under the dash, and those would be the antenna fuse, and power clock...i dont knoe if not having those would effect the lights. i really dont want to rip the dash off to solve this one... any thoughts?

-Ian

Speaking from personal experience, if yours is similiar to mine (being an '88 model), the guys on here suggested I replace the headlight switch which is located behind the dash - so I did, :sunshine: now I have nice bright dials...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo, 4WD, Auto

yea, mine does the same thing, but i just bought them lights that are on a strip from pep boys and it looks better too

do you have tail lights and side markers? if they are not coming on then check the fuses first. i have no idea what number they are on the fuse box. checking the fuses is the quickest, easiest and cheapest first step.

i have all my outside lights blinkers and the light on the console and under the dash(floor lights?), they all work, my gauges dont light up, and i dont know whats going on at night

First, it always helps to give the year of your Jeep up front. The '93 has a 7.5 amp fuse in slot 17 of the fuse block, I assume you have checked that fuse or equivalent.

The headlight switch is the one with the knob that controls the headlights. The knob rotates to control the brightness of the dash lights. On some, if not all, models there is a ground wire that plugs onto the rear of this switch. If that is missing or loose, the dash lights will not work. Has anyone been messing with wiring there in the dash?

Or the rheostat in the headlight switch that controls the brightness of the dash lights can fail completely or just get dirty.

Or the switch can melt around one or more contacts and cause various lights to not work although this does not appear to be your problem.

I have changed out a headlight switch without removing any dash panels but I wouldn't say it was easy. I assume it is a lot easier with the lower panel removed.

If you haven't turned and jiggled the switch knob to try to get the lights on, I would try that first. Let us know what happens after doing this and checking the fuse.

Back