• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft??

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I got a front driveshaft out of a 1990 XJ with a NP242 transfer case and a D30 HP. Will the driveshaft fit my 2000 XJ? My 2000 XJ has an NP242 transfer case and a D30 LP. The driveshaft looks the same.

spline count might be different supposedly....i cracked my 242 and some people had said there are 2 different spline counts for that t-case...

maybe you should go 231 is another option...everyone says less parts and more support

Fast95Neon said:
spline count might be different supposedly....i cracked my 242 and some people had said there are 2 different spline counts for that t-case...

maybe you should go 231 is another option...everyone says less parts and more support

on the front driveshaft you dont need to worry about spline count. it should fit. but i'm not 100% sure. just try it out shouldnt take but 15 mins

Spline count is irrelevant - this is a driveshaft question, not a question about the t-case input from the transmission.

The 2000 front driveshaft might be a little longer than the 1990 front driveshaft with the same engine/tranny combo, only because the 2000 is a low-pinion front axle. Measure collapsed length.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Spline count is irrelevant - this is a driveshaft question, not a question about the t-case input from the transmission.

The 2000 front driveshaft might be a little longer than the 1990 front driveshaft with the same engine/tranny combo, only because the 2000 is a low-pinion front axle. Measure collapsed length.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

X2 Should be fine....

The part number on the tag of the driveshaft is 53005542. According to quadratec that part number will fit all 1987 - 2000 XJ with an auto tranny and 4.0lt. Can anyone confirm this with me? I was also thinking of replacing the ujoints with 1330 ujoint's instead of 1310. Would the 1330 ujoints be a better choice? Would I have any binding problems with the 1330's?

chris420 said:
The part number on the tag of the driveshaft is 53005542. According to quadratec that part number will fit all 1987 - 2000 XJ with an auto tranny and 4.0lt. Can anyone confirm this with me? I was also thinking of replacing the ujoints with 1330 ujoint's instead of 1310. Would the 1330 ujoints be a better choice? Would I have any binding problems with the 1330's?
1- you would need all new driveshafts and yokes(t-case and pinions)
2-yes,they have less usable angle!

I thought the 1310 and 1330 were the same size caps just a little bigger center section. If the 1330 will not work then what ujoint would you recomend and why?

Thanks for the help.

Ok so I pulled my front driveshaft and found that most of my vibrations disapered. I also noticed that there is some play in the slip shaft. When I grabed the center of the driveshaft and pushed and pulled up and down the shaft would wiggle a little bit were the shaft slides in and out. Is this bad? should I replace it? Has anyone done a wright up on the stock front driveshaft?

What kind of writeup? You pulled it and noticed lateral play. Replace it with a similar one, or have one built. Four bolts on each end to remove and replace...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Chris420.... I have the same problem with my front driveshaft slip section. There is a bit of play in there when I push up on it. I never noticed it before lifting my XJ but after the lift I was getting serious vibes. I'm currently running without the front shaft until I decide what to do about it. I called the local driveshaft shop and they said that the shaft is bad (due to the play in the slip section) and that I should get it either rebuilt or a new shaft made. The problem I'm currently having is that I can't point the pinion at the transfer case front output shaft without going into major front axle modifications. Should I get a new shaft made up with double cardan joints at both ends?
I've searched the internet for almost a month now but can't seem to find anything on people having this problem on the front of their lifted XJ. My XJ is a 2000 with a Dana 30 LP and 4.5" of lift if that helps.

Ya it does help. I think maybee it is because the pinion is at a bad angle do to the low pinion design. I think the only way to solve it is to get lock out hubs or have a custom axle built with correct caster and pinion angle. Know matter what it is going to cost a lot of money. Almost seems cheaper to get a custom axle built. My D30 now has an axle seal leak so I am thinking of getting a custom axle built. Although that will piss of my wife. So maybe I will build my own axle and drive on the D30 until my new one is built.

Well Im still running my original driveshaft,8 years later at 6" and it still drives better than the 1st day!

I noticed that you have a transfer case drop. May ask why? did the drop help with vibes? Did you get a custom front driveshaft? what is your caster set at?

The TC drop is only a 1/2",did it more for the fun of it(and help reduce rear angles).The rear is a custom shaft but the front is my original from day one.Castor is about 3.5*!

did the transfer case drop help with front angle on the driveshaft? did you drive it before the transfer case drop to see the difference?

No and yes!

Back