• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 feels like it's binding

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
'89 4.0L, '90 AX15, '91 Np242.

In fulltime 4x4, if I'm turning at slow speed, but not sharply, the jeep kinda jostles. If I turn at maximum lock, it doesn't bind like it does in part time, and if I jack up the front end, only that end will spin, so it's definitely in full time. It just feels a lot more jerky in full time.

But that's not the big problem I'm having, the big problem is when going straight at any decent speed (30,50,90 kmh, doesn't matter), now and then (every 20 sec-minute, its random) I will hear a pop/bang from underneath, and the jeep will 'bounce'. I say bounce because it almost feels as if I lose power and the springs compress, then decompress. You definitely feel it.

What's going on? It almost sounds like the shift forks are coming out or something. The chain felt tight when I cracked it open. Could it be the front axle vacuum disconnect? I put washers in it and disabled the vacuum so it's always connected, but could it still slip out? Doesn't really feel like it.

By the way, here's the chain when I took it out. There's less slack when I held the two shafts apart, as they sucked in when I did this:

Please help, I need this before skiing season! :p

A 242 & a stick? 242 equipped rigs don't use a disco so shimming the axle should have fixed it. It does sound like maybe the axle is trying to disengage.2X on does it do it in part time?

I actually havn't tried the same thing in part time. I'll try that today.

If the front axle was disengaging, wouldn't I hear a grinding noise as well?

Just a thought, but have you installed a TC lowering kit or anything that would change the position of the TC with respect to the shifter? When I put in my TC lowering kit, I had to re-adjust the linkage to get proper engagement.

No TC lowering kit. Crossmember sits level, and the linkage seems fine.. It sometimes wont engage full time right away and likes to sit in part time until I wiggle it back and forth, but its not really hitting anything.

I havn't got around to doing the part time thing yet - what would it mean if it did it, or if it didn't do it, in part time?

Could the double cardan joint be doing this?

Back