• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator working too good?

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is this possible? I just installed a new Alt, and Battery and my battery gage is reading all the way to the right. I smell a little bit of electrical smoke and sniff it back to the alternator. I touched the alternator and it was hot to the touch after running for less than a minute. What could be the cause of this? It is a brand new alternator from NAPA rated to 90 amps, and a brand new battery from NAPA aswell one of their optima type O6's. I don't know electrics at all so any help would be appreciated.

Tyler

Defective alternator, the internal regulator is n/g, sounds more like an Auto Zone rebuilt. Usually Napa is better than that. Check the voltage at the alt just to be sure though.

Well I decided to do it today since my football game doesn't start until 7:00est. I took out the Alt. and went down to NAPA and it checked good. He said that on this Alt. the voltage regulator isn't internal. He said that he thought that on the 92's they were put inside the ECU. Does anybody know if this is true? I don't want to shell out $219 for a new ECU for it not to be the correct fix. Thanks in advance.

Tyler

Waa! Chiltons says when it's in the ECU/PCM they cannot be seviced & must be replaced. You should have someone put it on a scanner & check it for you. If that's the problem maybe a junkyard unit will work for you.

OBD1 scanners don't really do any good. Couldn't get one to get a signal off my ECM, and I'm not the only one.

OBD2 and above is the only real ECM that works with a scanner!

Not sure what year you have though...but they are right about 92+ having the voltage regulator in the ECM and not the alternator.

Back