• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding factory fog lights to a '97

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]I have done a lot of research on the forum for installation of factory (OEM) fog lights or the 97-02 Cherokees but have not seen my particular situation. Here's what I am working with.

Trying to install/wire factory fog lights on a '97.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Power distribution center has sockets for the relay[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Wiring harness present for fog lights switch[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Appears to be wiring harness for the 2 fog lamps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This should be a simple plug and play, right?

After installing relay and fuse and switching headlights on, relay does not switch on and there appears to be no power to the switch.

Am I missing something here? I am assuming that all the wiring is there and all I need to do is install the switch, relay and fuse, and lamps. Anyway of knowing if I am actually fully wired without tracing back from the switch? Perhaps there is a typical config for 97's?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jeremy[/FONT]

Unless your 1997-2001 Cherokee came from the factory with fog lamps, installing them is not plug and play. You need the fog lamp install kit from Chrysler/Jeep or you can use a factory fog lamp switch and just wire the lamps like any normal aftermarket install and use a relay connected to the dashboard switch.

Here is a quote from somebody that bought and installed the Jeep factory fog lamp install kit from JeepsAreUs - http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2..._Code=JAU&Product_Code=ffw9702&Category_Code=

There will be a pigtail taped off behind where you mount the fog light switch... that needs to be used.... The KIT comes with a fog light switch that illuminates, mount that allows for 2 or 3 switches, two pieces of harness that connects from pigtail behind the fog light switch to the high beam circuit used to disengage the fog lights when high beams are on, a wire that connects to the parking light circuit (when fog light switch is energized it provides control voltage for relay), a 30A relay and 20A fuse that ties into the PCM power stud, and then a section of harness that goes down to the two fog lights.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
There will be a pigtail taped off behind where you mount the fog light switch... that needs to be used.... The KIT comes with a fog light switch that illuminates, mount that allows for 2 or 3 switches, two pieces of harness that connects from pigtail behind the fog light switch to the high beam circuit used to disengage the fog lights when high beams are on, a wire that connects to the parking light circuit (when fog light switch is energized it provides control voltage for relay), a 30A relay and 20A fuse that ties into the PCM power stud, and then a section of harness that goes down to the two fog lights.

Installed the factory foglight installation kit about 10 years ago....
Easy installation, but need a good flashlight and the ability to read small print to find the proper wires to tie into....
I used the harness to power up a set of PIAA OffRoad lights instead of the factory foglights... PIAA offers a much better quality light than the factory.
NOTE: It is not necessary to connect the wire that goes to the hi beam circuit... This is provided since DMV does not want you using the hi beams and the foglights at the same time...

I also did the fog light add on kit for my 98, did it back in 99 or so, it was one of my first mods. However I only used half the kit, the internal part, once thats in you have only one wire to run thru the firewall, that I ran to the Hella fused relay and used the heavier wiring in the Hella kit for the light portion. The kit comes with a new panel with 3 holes and the aux and cig sockets, all you do is move your defroster and wiper switches over to the new one.
I still have the other half of the kit on the shelf with the wiring for the fogs inside loom tubing.
My 98 had no sockets in the PDC, nor did it have any extra wires, the only 'extra' wires found were for the temp sensor behind the front bumper.
Now my wifes 97ZJ Laredo has the plugs and harness for the factory fogs, both plugs are behind the bumper facia, but no dash switch so I'm looking for one of those now off a limited or other ZJ that had fogs.

Back