• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible fuel delivery problems....please help me

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ill make this simple..

What would make my 4.0 act like this? I turn the key over and get nothing for about 10 seconds then it starts to stumble like its going to start but won't. I'm thinking the filter cause its cheap and easy. Would the pump just go out or could it act like this? I recently bought this XJ and have been running it on empty around town so I'm thinking I picked something up off the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter enough to cause this?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Sean

What year XJ do you have? Early vintage the filter is a canister style along the side of the vehicle; piece of cake to change. Later vintage, the filter is inside the tank, part of the fuel pump "assembly" (pump/regulator/filter).

Your symptoms could really be a number of things; fuel delivery is just one. Do you have any check engine light or stored codes? When was the last time you had plugs/wires/cap/rotor changed? Some things to think about.

Best way to determine if you actually do have a fuel delivery problem is to install a simple fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and compare your readings to factory spec.

A quick and dirty way to check for fuel is to spray some starting fluid into the intake. If the engine starts and runs momentarily, then yes, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't start this way, then start looking elsewhere (ignition/sensors/etc).

Good luck and post back what you find!

Its a '90....yeh I was thinking about doing all of what you suggested. Ill try the starter fluid first and see what happens. I believe the plugs were done recently also. This problem went from running rough here and there to leaving me stranded.

Back