• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal to External Slave AX15 Conversion.

flynn78us

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ with an ax-15, I have a line on a 2000 XJ ax-15.

Searched and can't find what is needed and how hard it is to do. Any info will help.

:skull1:
Mike

bellhousing is different between the two, clutch fork, all the hydraulics, and front bearing retainer is different if you're not swapping the whole trans. just take out the old style and replace with newer.

2X whitestang. The newer style m/c, slave cylinder come as a complete unit. Don't buy it from Mopar, I bought mine from the dealer, did my sons a month later, bought it from CarQuest & it was about 1/2 the price. The CarQuest unit came in the same box, oem part for 1/2 the $.Get the bellhsng & clutch fork from the bone yard[Wranglers are the same also]but buy the hydraulics & t/o new.

Correct.

Method #1 - swap out the "internal" slave setup for the "external" slave setup. Take the old "internal" and give it a thorough overhaul as a spare, put it under your bench for when you need it. If/when you do the swap, move the bellhousing (and related parts) and front bearing retainer over from the "external" setup, and you're done.

Method #2 - Do the latter half of the above swap.

But, since you've got to pull the transmission out anyhow, might as well just overhaul the thing before you put it in. As noted, you will need to swap hydraulics as well.

I'll be doing this swap (88 going from BA-10 to iAX-15 to eAX-15, kinda roundabout...) and I'm actually looking to do aftermarket hydraulics - I think I have the part numbers around here somewhere. Call me cranky, but I don't trust "prefilled & prebled" hydraulics, especially where a hygroscopic fluid is used. I change my clutch fluid just as often as my brake fluid - every two years. It's easy enough that it isn't worth not doing, y'know?

So if I have the whole tranny it is boltin? Because i have the entire tranny out of a 2000. That is what i meant. Can I drop my 91 tranny, and put in a 2000 tranny and have it work is my question.

If you have the rt spline count {21 vs 23] I believe 91 should have the 23 spline so you should be ok. And of course swap the hydraulics. If 5-90 has the info on aftermaket type hydraulics look into that. I had an oem unit come apart once [someone pushed the clutch pedal when the slave wasn't bolted in] & it was a minor pain to bleed. Seperate servicable units are much better. Mopar & planned obselecence strike again.

flynn78us said:
So if I have the whole tranny it is boltin? Because i have the entire tranny out of a 2000. That is what i meant. Can I drop my 91 tranny, and put in a 2000 tranny and have it work is my question.

Should be - AX-15s all have 23-spline outputs.

The only real difference would be if you had a YJ/TJ unit - since those clock the transfer case a bit flatter. That's also an easy fix - take the transfer case adapter housing off of the old unit and bolt it on the new one. Et viola! you've taken care of the clocking problem!

NB: if you decide to leave the YJ/TJ tcase adapter on, it will require a good amount of "sledgehammer massage" on the transmission tunnel to get things to fit up properly...

Back