• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken coils!!!!!!??????????

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
so heres the situation. ive had my jeep jacked up for about six weeks now. all four tires were off the ground and it just sat there like that. well, now that i finished most of the work i put the jeep back on the ground and my front end is sitting about two inches lower then it should. any ideas????

im pissed and confused.. i hate the stinkbug look. oh, and my coils are compressed like i have a 454 sitting under the hood instead of the 4.0.

What size lift and what were you doing to it that you had it jacked up for 6 weeks?

Loosen your rear shackle and leaf spring bolts. Suspension sounds like it is binding because the bolts are too tight and the spring is not able to settle.

well, i beat the crap out of it at pismo and launched it about 5 feet in the air. and ripped off some control arm mounts, bent the rest, and ripped my track bar out. so i replaced the axle because i was to lazy to make new mounts, and installed the new track bar from rubicon express. this is the thing. after i decided to fly it still set level. so after i posted this i realized today that my rear was also a little taller. my shackles were stuck. fixed that and the front is still compressed.

tommorow im going hunting so i wont have time, but on sunday im going to drop the front and redo the install and see if anything helps.

norcalchris said:
well, i beat the crap out of it at pismo and launched it about 5 feet in the air. and ripped off some control arm mounts, bent the rest, and ripped my track bar out. so i replaced the axle because i was to lazy to make new mounts, and installed the new track bar from rubicon express. this is the thing. after i decided to fly it still set level. so after i posted this i realized today that my rear was also a little taller. my shackles were stuck. fixed that and the front is still compressed.

tommorow im going hunting so i wont have time, but on sunday im going to drop the front and redo the install and see if anything helps.

Well, since no one is gonna say it, that was a dumba$$ move for jumping a unibody, then asking why it isn't right anymore.

ia green96 said:
Well, since no one is gonna say it, that was a dumba$$ move for jumping a unibody, then asking why it isn't right anymore.
you've obviously never seen or been to a jeepspeed race. you go ahead and call people you dont know a dumbass bro. its nice to see you have your big boy pants on today. i jump the crap out of my rig all the time but its *set up to handle it*. thats all it takes. as long as you build your jeep right it can do anything you want it to do. just because its a unibody doesnt mean you cant jump it..... or rock crawl it... or do whatever the hell you want with it.

GrimmJeeper said:
you've obviously never seen or been to a jeepspeed race. you go ahead and call people you dont know a dumbass bro. its nice to see you have your big boy pants on today. i jump the crap out of my rig all the time but its *set up to handle it*. thats all it takes. as long as you build your jeep right it can do anything you want it to do. just because its a unibody doesnt mean you cant jump it..... or rock crawl it... or do whatever the hell you want with it.

well said

norcalchris said:
oh....im on tomken coils. rubicon leafs. five inches of total lift
I'm guessing this is your problem.

RE has a reputation for making their springs taller than what you are buying (i.e. a 4.5" spring nets ~5.5").

They do this because they are assuming that your Jeep is built to the hilt and has lots of extra weight in bumpers, winch, cargo, etc.

If it were me i'd either replace the front springs and/or get some spacers. If you are really anal about setting the height where you want it get the ACOS setup.

norcalchris said:

A wiseman once said: Man who jumps jeep fixes shit for the rest of the week! :D Unless its a JeepSpeed rig thats built for it

ia green96 said:

GrimmJeeper said:

HE DID say he jumped his xj, and it was clearly not built for it, so is his dumbass comment really that far out of line?
he did word it wrong though, because we know how jeepers get defensive about the unibody thing

that being said, if you cant imagine a built xj being launched thru the air, and asking for more. youve obviously never left nebraska

Back