• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto tranny problems I think

slingblade

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 wagoneer 4.0 auto np242 when driving my rpms go to about 3 grand and sit then i get a hard shift unless i take my foot off the gas then it shifts closer to normal still a little hard but not bad have check the trans fluid many times and my wife even took it to a shop to serviced (not trusting me) still having the same problem and in all honesty i'm not sure which trans it is i've been told aw4 and aw30-40 have no clue any help would be much appreciated

just thought of more information that might help. started doing what its doing know after i blew a tranny cooler line and am guessing drove on it at most 25 miles that took about an hour after which i fixed the line refilled the trans about a week later went to the shop this has been over a year ago

the AW4 and 30-40le are names for the same transmission which is the only automatic found behind the 4.0 in XJs.

you drove 25 miles with fluid dumping out the tranny!? how much did it take to fill after that?

you may have bigger problems, but the normal things to check would be the fluid level, TV cable adjustment, and the TPS.

thanks for the info it could have been 25 it could have been less didnt notice a new leek until i got home from work and as far as how much i added was less than a quart i remember not being at the add line and whats tv cable

The throttle boby cable connects the throttle to the tranny via cable. This controls how your tranny shifts. When you push the gas to the floor it causes the tranny to shift harder at higher rpm's, and just the opposite when you are light on the gas.

To adjust find the end that hooks to the throttle body. You'll notice that where the cable clips into the metal mounting bracket, there is a plastic housing that has a button that is in the shape of a half circle. Press it and push the cable into the plastic section, it should move in about 1/4" to 1/2". Now you have reset the cable and are ready to adjust it. To set the cable simply get in the drivers seat and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor (with the engine off). While you do this you should hear a series of clicks from the throttle body area, that is the cable setting itself. Thats it, give it a try. Hope this makes sense to you, it is very easy to do.

Back