• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YEAH!! my first MJ

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
Okay after owning two XJs, and a TJ. I now have my first MJ
its my 1000 dollar 1987 Comanche with a 4.0 and AW4. Its a long bed which is fine with me, itll be the run-around vehicle and its 4WD just in case,
well heres pics. its obvious to me the PO knew very little about filter replacement and blow by. also the extreme cleanliness of the haynes manual clued me in. Oh yeah and the roach clips in the ashtray, DOH!!!!

Insidesmall.JPG

Rear.jpg

Filtersmall.JPG

enginesmall.JPG

There it is.

Last edited:
Congrats on the MJ!!!!! It looks nice.

Now move the spring perches above the axle, that will get you about 5'', and get some 4.5'' springs, along with drop brackets for the front. It will ride just as good if not better than it does right now. Thats how mine is right now, and I love it. Just remember to disconnect the load sensing lever on the rear.

Very Nice $1k Comanche. I love these trucks, I want another. Replace the vacuum lines for the blow-by. I replaced them on both mine. They're available pretty cheap now.

Mr_Random said:
How do you guys do it? I want one so bad!

Ah... I'll keep looking around here...

ENVY!

I scour craigslist every morning before i leave for work. then jump on a deal like a pirhana.

Its a D35 im pretty sure.

What does the load sensing lever do? I could very easily look at the schematics but im keeping tabs on my 2 year old and am tired. so you know im being lazy.

Congrats on the MJ!!!!! It looks nice.

Now move the spring perches above the axle, that will get you about 5'', and get some 4.5'' springs, along with drop brackets for the front. It will ride just as good if not better than it does right now. Thats how mine is right now, and I love it. Just remember to disconnect the load sensing lever on the rear.

4.5 springs, as in from a 4.5 lift or some from an F150 or whatever?
It drives more like a car than did my former XJs.

I plled t he throttle body off this evening to do some very needed cleaning, and now its got a high idle. Dang.
I didnt remove the TPs so its still lined up right. I did tear the gasket between the TB and the intake mani. I think this is the cause of the high idle.

Im really happy with it though. As soon as i pull the what looks to be stock Cat from the exhaust and put a good muffler on it, she should be breathing much better,

The load sensing lever reduces braking in the rear depending on how much weight is in the back. If you lift, just use a piece of wire to hold the lever in the position you want - likely horizontal. Note that this setup requires a different bleeding procedure if you mess with the brakes (search for it).

4.5'' lift springs. Mine right now ahs 3.5'' springs, and a 2'' spacer. Just go 4.5'' springs, and if its not lookin right (too far down in the front) THEN add your spacers.

When I did mine, I got 5" out of the 4.5" front springs. Spring over in the back gave me 5.5", and with the 1/2" sag of the stock leaf springs put it just about right. If you get a 4.5" XJ lift kit with 4 shocks, you can use the ZJ rear shocks by moving the mount up about even with the center of the axle tube.

lawsoncl said:
When I did mine, I got 5" out of the 4.5" front springs. Spring over in the back gave me 5.5", and with the 1/2" sag of the stock leaf springs put it just about right. If you get a 4.5" XJ lift kit with 4 shocks, you can use the ZJ rear shocks by moving the mount up about even with the center of the axle tube.

Hmmm well the rear springs are still very arched, its a 4 leaf spring.The rear has a good stance.
i dont know if i want to lift it just yet. Itll be my run around vehicle. If i get another XJ THAT will be my wheeler. Then again........... give it time. ;)

Back