• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke an AW4

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I guess I am some kind of special guy, 'cause I just blew up the "bulletproof" AW4 in my '92.

Not wining, really. Just looking for a little post mortem diagnosis.

Was doddling down the interstate doing 65, it downshifted going up hill, then downshifted again, then again, then a big cloud of white smoke came pouring from below. Lost all gears totally. Didn't really loose much fluid. The dipstick is clean and red.

The engine has been running a little hot, but never in the red and never overheated.

210,000 miles. Have owned it since 140k. Reportedly had been serviced right before I bought it. I had just drained and filled. I know that is only a partial change. I measured what I drained and refilled with a bottle of Lucas and the remainder Dex III.

Any chance I just blew the torque converter, or are my chickens dead?:doh:

Any thoughts?

bad sensor?

I also have an AW4...from my son's (mine) '88 Cherokee. Was functioning perfectly when he fried the main wire harness and decided it would be easier to buy a new '88 XJ.

Anyway...let me know if you want...would probably make you a heck of a deal.

Thanks for the offers. I am going to try the local pull n pay first. If that fails, there's a swap meet in another month or so.

I believe I need a '92 and up to get the correct spline count, don't I? Anyone know if there are electrical differences I need to consider if I don't find a '92?

kevin s said:
Thanks for the offers. I am going to try the local pull n pay first. If that fails, there's a swap meet in another month or so.

I believe I need a '92 and up to get the correct spline count, don't I? Anyone know if there are electrical differences I need to consider if I don't find a '92?
Would you be at all interested in pulling (and testing) the solenoids and selling them to me? You can actually test them from the wiring harness that plugs into the TCU if you have an ohmmeter.

I may be able to do that, but it's going to be awhile until I get around to doing anything. This isn't my daily driver (well, it isn't now), so it's going to sit until I get around to it.

Back