• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Flat tow??

trobertsrn

NAXJA Forum User
I plan to purchase a four wheel drive 1986 Comanche with 4 banger, 5 speed manual. I believe these came with the NP207 transfer?

Can this Jeep be flat towed? Will be attempting to get it home by myself this weekend if I like what I see.

I know the answer for this for my previous Jeeps; 2000 XJ with auto, 83 J-10 with quadratrac, 79 Cj-5. And I know I can do this with my 53 Willys Pickup (Dana 300 transfer).

Thanks,

Tom

trobertsrn said:
I plan to purchase a four wheel drive 1986 Comanche with 4 banger, 5 speed manual. I believe these came with the NP207 transfer?

Can this Jeep be flat towed? Will be attempting to get it home by myself this weekend if I like what I see.

I know the answer for this for my previous Jeeps; 2000 XJ with auto, 83 J-10 with quadratrac, 79 Cj-5. And I know I can do this with my 53 Willys Pickup (Dana 300 transfer).

Thanks,

Tom

My XJ, same setup, was flat towed for all of its' life; t-case and tranny in nuetral with the key in ignition turned foreward a bit to unlock the steering and you'll be good!

Why do you need to tow it though? I have LOTS of info on anything you need for the 2.5L, and will have more soon, considering I'll be doing a performance rebuild of sorts (plus MPI upgrade).

Mr_Random said:
My XJ, same setup, was flat towed for all of its' life; t-case and tranny in nuetral with the key in ignition turned foreward a bit to unlock the steering and you'll be good!

Why do you need to tow it though? I have LOTS of info on anything you need for the 2.5L, and will have more soon, considering I'll be doing a performance rebuild of sorts (plus MPI upgrade).

Will need to tow it home if purchased. I am in Casa Grande and the owner is in Glendale near the new Cardinals statium. About 1.5 hours, mostly freeway, depending on traffic.

I have a tow bar I use to tow the 53 Willys Pickup but will need to put tow bar mounts (drill) on the stock Comanche front bumper.

I may decide to rent a U-Haul dolly instead.

I would be interested in any info you have on the 2.5 L

Thanks,

Tom

trobertsrn said:
Will need to tow it home if purchased. I am in Casa Grande and the owner is in Glendale near the new Cardinals statium. About 1.5 hours, mostly freeway, depending on traffic.

I have a tow bar I use to tow the 53 Willys Pickup but will need to put tow bar mounts (drill) on the stock Comanche front bumper.

I may decide to rent a U-Haul dolly instead.

I would be interested in any info you have on the 2.5 L

Thanks,

Tom

Well mine has brackets mounted to the bumper, it's a bit tweaked from someone stomping on the gas, but still works really well.

It may be a real pita to drill new mounts for the tow bar, but if you want to save money I'm sure it'll help...

I'll assemble a PM with info about it if you want.

Back