• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap now aw4 issues

Heepofajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, just got done swapping a replacement 4.0 in my 1992 XJ, now the aw4 auto transmission, which worked before the swap, will not work at all.

It goes into park ok, and it feels like the shifter moves through all the gear selectors (R N 3 2 1), but when I take it out of park into any other gear, it just acts like its in neutral!?

Your help would be VERY much appreciated! The engine runs perfect, by the way.

First thing first, is it full of oil? Are you sure you bolted the torque converter to the flywheel? Make sure the shaft on the side of the tranny (driver side) moves when you move the gear selector?

Not to question your work but its easy to overlook stuff like that. I worked in a tranny shop for 5 years, and from what I experienced, those three things would be the only reason you arn't getting any gears (unless there are broken shafts and gears inside but I dought it).

Check those and keep us updated.

Lonestar said:
First thing first, is it full of oil? Are you sure you bolted the torque converter to the flywheel? Make sure the shaft on the side of the tranny (driver side) moves when you move the gear selector?

Unfortunately, all of the above have been checked. :wierd:

Did you remove the Torque converter from the tranny at all when the engine was out. If so you might have "stacked the pump" when you reinstalled the T.C. in the tranny. Meaning, the torque converter was not fully splined with the pump gears in the tranny, so when you tighten everything down you accually press the TC hub onto the top of the gear. If this happened you have trashed the TC, pump gears, and the pump housing.

Lonestar said:
Did you remove the Torque converter from the tranny at all when the engine was out. If so you might have "stacked the pump" when you reinstalled the T.C. in the tranny. Meaning, the torque converter was not fully splined with the pump gears in the tranny, so when you tighten everything down you accually press the TC hub onto the top of the gear. If this happened you have trashed the TC, pump gears, and the pump housing.

What is the best way to tell if this happened?

One more obvious thing to check - is the xfer case in gear? Is the xfer case input spline count the same as the transmission output? I understand that a 21-spline on the tranny will bolt up just fine to a 23-spline xfer case but not actually engage. You could check both of these issues by putting the tranny in park and seeing if you can push the vehicle.

Back