• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New castings of stock heads to be released soon

SWEET!, my buddy has a ruby with a 4.0 with some special head on it,It boasts almost 300hp, I want that casting! They were pretty rare, he had to have a header custom made

How novel. I rememeber being part of the discussion on Strokers (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) ca. FEB2002 when we were discussing a head from a clean sheet of paper - improvements we'd make, what we'd base it on, things like that.

I eventually condensed the discussion - printed out the full discussions and summarised it to a couple of pages up front, and dropped it off with Russ Flagle at Indy Cylinder Heads.

Imagine my surprise when HESCO and Patriot Performance started selling new aluminum castings of the AMC six cylinder head! If whoever followed the discussion properly, it should be based extensively on the #7120 head (widely regarded as the best of the 242ci heads anyhow.) My only complaint? I do prefer iron over aluminum - unless you're going to develop an MLS head gasket to go with the head (I'm not sure if they did.)

If ACH is thinking, they're going to base this upon the #7120 head as well, with the refinements and mods we'd talked about, and some stuff we might not have (or that Patriot/HESCO didn't include.)

It's nice to see the aftermarket expanding tho. Just don't expect this to work with RENIX top-end parts, since they're not very common. You want to put this on a RENIX rig, you'll have to convert to OBD manifolds and such (the intake ports were raised 5/8" for the 1991MY, and stayed up, to improve cylinder head breathing.)

(Side Note - I'd like to know what role - if any - I had in making this happen. I don't want money, I just want to know my place in Jeep history. And, I'd like information on the heads for an update for the Power Manual...)

From what I have seen ACH makes stock replacement heads, so I wouldn't expect anything great. It will also have to be 50 state legal and emissions frendly. They do produce a quality casting with little to no core shift and not alot of casting flash on them either.

~Alex

MoparManiac said:
If you look halfway down the page on "New Heads" it says

Jeep 0331

great...

Bugger. Still, ChryCo got the #0331 head right 2002-forward, didn't they? The aftermarket tends to be a bit more thorough in their work and they don't cut quite as many corners (which is what gets the OEMs in trouble,) so it shouldn't be too bad.

It does make some small sense to use the #0331 for a basis - smallest exhaust ports of the lot. Still, I'd like to see one based on the #7120. I'd really like to see a cross-draft head kit, but as long as I'm dreaming I'd like a pony...

Score for Alabama, now we have Hesco AND This place. Neither one are far from me. Too bad I can't afford anything from Hesco.

Back