• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odometer and flat towing

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,
my friend looked at a '00 XJ with 100,000 miles on the clock, and the owner claimed that it probly only had 50,000 miles and the rest were wound up because it was flat-towed behind an RV most of its life.

i know in my '90 XJ with the mechanical cable that if the driveshaft is spinning, its counting miles, but the '00 has a digital cluster and VSS electronic speed sensors.

is it BS?

-Tim

Sounds like BS to me. It's possible the computer can be configured to keep track of all distances traveled--whether or not the ignition is on--but highly improbable! It's possible the prior owner actually believes odometer inputs are recorded while being towed, so I'd just say he's probably misinformed.

Sounds like dung unless he had the key on while towing. My 95 with non digital speedo electronic sender dosent work even with me driving it due to bad wires or sender. Unless the rear drive line is spinnin and the key is on you get nada.

i think it may because the odometer is miles on the car. so it would not mater if its running or not. there may be a chance that it would do that.

12GaugeXJ said:
Electronic, probably not. Cable, more and likley, yes.

It is actually more than likely true, the key must be on to be towed on all fours, otherwise the steering wheel will lock. So unless it has a transmission disconnect installed than the odometer WILL rack up miles on it while being towed. As of right now the only car that I know of that can be towed on all fours with out trans disconnect and not rack up miles is a Saturn. (Folks towed a 2000 XJ now a Saturn View)

my .02

just flat towed my 88 xj across the country didnt rack up any miles on my odometer but then again i removed both drive shafts if that cherokee has 50k flat towed without the driveshafts remove i know i wouldn't want it something about spining things in a way they aint suposta spin in even with trans and t-case in neutral and you can tow an xj on only 2 of its own wheels just have to remove the rear drive shaft and either drain or find a way to plug the t-case when i flat towed mine i just rachet straped the drive shaft to the exhaust and the the tranny cross member to keep it in place lost a ujoint cap but i think the are original so probably needed changing anywho

PS yes i know my grammar, spelling, and puncuation aint that great but i dont care i'm a marine not an english teacher

yes but i think they don't want the driveshaft spinning. it wears out internal parts. i would only do the 2 wheel thing if i was going short distances. not cross country.

I flat towed mine with both driveshafts in place and didn't add a single mile. Towed it for about 900 miles last winter.

I also had a guy tell me that his Jeep didn't really have 260K because it was flat towed so much, I've decided this guy either didn't know what he was talking about or lied.

If the spedometer needle isn't moving, the odometer won't be moving. I know this because my spedometer has been a bit flakey lately and cuts in and out.

Also, there is one position before actually turning on power that will unlock the steering column.

Kuasimodem said:
Also, there is one position before actually turning on power that will unlock the steering column.
I'm glad someone finally pointed this out.
If the tcase has a pump in it(I don't think any of the XJ cases used does) then you can tow it in nuetral with zero side effects. Ford Tcases have an internal pump and can be towed forever with no problems.
But as was pointed out a vehicle with a digital odometer would need the key on and tcase in gear to register mileage. What he probably meant was the mileage is accurate and that he is a compulsive liar, or it sounded like a good story when he bought it from another liar.

The 231 has an oil pump, as does the 242. It's on the output shaft, so if the rear wheels are turning, it's pumping oil.

well either way how does it run and does it have any service records. if it only had 50000 miles on it then the service records would show it.

Back