• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sand Lake New Rules September 1st

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
If you don't feel like reading..... here is the nutshell version....

1. Can't drive or ride on the sand between 12am - 6am.
2. Can't camp without a dumpable portable toilet.

Here is the update from ODF:

These new rules for Sand Lake OHV Area (operated by the US Forest Service, Siuslaw National Forest) were forwarded to me by a member of the OHV Community. They go into effect on September 1, 2008.
Stephanie A. Beall
Recreation Coordinator
Tillamook State Forest
801 Gales Creek Road
Forest Grove, OR 97116
http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/Recreation.shtml

Curfew& Sanitation Changes Initiated For Sand Lake Recreation Area
Contacts:
503/392-5100, John Casteel
541/563-8415, John Zapell
Corvallis, OR - Due to the need to address public safety and sanitation issues at Sand Lake Recreation Area, the Siuslaw National Forest will implement two special forest orders beginning Monday, September 1, 2008.
One Order, to be issued under 36 CFR 261.56, prohibits using a motorized vehicle within dispersed areas on all National Forest lands at Sand Lake Recreation Area between the hours of 12 p.m. and 6 a.m. The second Order, issued under 36 CFR 261.58(e), prohibits camping in dispersed areas at Sand Lake Recreation Area unless possessing and using a portable toilet.
The 12 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew period matches a Tillamook County ordinance for Sand Lake Recreation Area approved at a recent Tillamook County Board of Commissioners meeting.
" We have been working closely with Tillamook County officials on a curfew at Sand Lake Recreation Area to help reduce the number of injury accidents, fatalities, and unlawful activities that often occur late at night," said Forest Supervisor Barnie Gyant. "This is another management tool intended to make Sand Lake a safer place to visit."
Operating a motor vehicle during the curfew period for the expressed purpose of establishing or vacating a dispersed campsite will be permitted.
"In addition," added Gyant, "we are implementing a requirement to possess and use a portable toilet while camping in dispersed areas in an attempt to ensure that human waste is managed in a safe and sanitary manner."
If you have any questions concerning these orders, contact the Hebo Ranger District office at 503-392-5100, or visit our web site at www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw.

It trully is a shame that these types of rules still need to be documented!!
Sometimes I really wonder if we have come that far from the Neanderthal days?

Rod, Thanks for posting.
Michael

me neither. seems like a good place to test the 33s. then hit TSF on the way back.

:huh: no riding after midnight?

there goes my afterwork runs to sandlake with the boys.

Goin friday the 5th with xj and Zj, anyone interested? not exactly a fun "Group" place to go in a jeep, just play around alittle bit. maybe hit up TSF when it gets boring.

I will most likely never go there again........... I have more fun out there at night than I do during the day when it is packed. This is horible news since I was planning on going ou there next weekend. What is the deal with the portable toilet, they have toilets there! I guess because you can't drive at night to the bathrooms you need something to do your business in. I just don't understand why we need these stupid rules to protect us, you ride or drive at night at your own risk!

On a busy weekend its safer riding at night than during the day everyone has headlights if they are riding at night its easier to see them.

I will not ride out there anymore because the only time I ever went to sand lake was after work, I work until 8pm, get out there at 10-1030, by the time everything is warmed up and you get loose its midnight. Whats the point of going out there paying the 5 bucks and then leaving in 3 hours.

If people get hurt 9 times out of 10 its their own doing. Damn liberal states.

Is there a legal definition of a "portable toilet" seat on a bucket work?
or one of these

Back