• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche, good years and bad?

:spin3: I think they are Just like XJs, avoid the V-6, 4cylinders get good mileage,but lack power power, 4.0 is great. I like my Renix [87/90] I've got an HO also, but I like my 87. Lots of people prefer the HOs though , They are all great. I like an A/T, my son has a 5 spd, it's whatever you prefer. The 86 V-6 is marginal, the 87/89 4.0 5spd Peugot is weak. 90/92 5 spds are AX-15, if you want a stick they are the best. All 4.0 A/Ts are the AW4, it's bullet proof. Don't bother with a 4cyl A/T unless it's for your 16 year old daughter.

Last edited:
xj_dummy said:
What year of comanche do I look for?
What year should I stay away from?
Auto or stick?

If you want stick, look for 88 plus, either Renix or HO (I'd rather have Renix). If you want a purely street cruiser, get a 2wd. Long bed's are okay with 2wd, but not preferable when trying to make a competent offroader.

If you want the most efficient real jeep (not the patriot and compass crap) ever made, try to find a 2.5 2wd 5 spd (much more common on MJ's) short bed, any year will work, but 90+ is preferable.

As previously stated, any automatic 4.0L will be bombproof and fun no matter what!

Definately look for the towing package or one with a D44 rear, you'll get a much better rear axle from it!

The dana 44 rear also came with the 1ton (yes there was a 1 ton package on MJ's) which has 2 more leaves, and an increased payload from 1400 lbs to 2025 lbs. Effectively turning an almost 3/4 ton truck into a 1-ton truck.

85xj4dr said:
The dana 44 rear also came with the 1ton (yes there was a 1 ton package on MJ's) which has 2 more leaves, and an increased payload from 1400 lbs to 2025 lbs. Effectively turning an almost 3/4 ton truck into a 1-ton truck.

okay yeah, I wasn't sure if that's what it was called... There is one in town that NEVER moves... Long bed 4.0 d44 4wd and sits a little higher in back... In freaking perfect shape... If it wasn't in a scary neighborhood I'd go to the door and ask if they're selling... I'm jonesing so much right now! Haha...

Mr_Random said:
If you want stick, look for 88 plus, either Renix or HO (I'd rather have Renix). If you want a purely street cruiser, get a 2wd. Long bed's are okay with 2wd, but not preferable when trying to make a competent offroader.

If you want the most efficient real jeep (not the patriot and compass crap) ever made, try to find a 2.5 2wd 5 spd (much more common on MJ's) short bed, any year will work, but 90+ is preferable.

As previously stated, any automatic 4.0L will be bombproof and fun no matter what!

Definately look for the towing package or one with a D44 rear, you'll get a much better rear axle from it!

Half marks - the XJ seemed to go from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15 in AUG1989. The BA-10 can be easily identified by the longwise split in the case.

Good news? The AX-15 and transfer case are a drop-in swap. The "internal" AX-15 can use the Peugeot clutch kit (you may have to change the pilot bushing, but that's all) and the later "external" AX-15 should drop right in with a change of hydraulics. Move the crossmember to the rearward mounting holes, and you're golden. Note that the AX-15 mount usually goes for $20-30, and the BA-10 mount for upwards of $150, OEMR only! Make sure you grab the transfer case as well - but you can use the same driveshafts with the AX-15 as with the BA-10.

The AW4 was good in all years - Toyota designed the thing and had been using it in their light trucks and Supra for a good ten years before AMC started buying them, so no kinks to worry about. Rock solid - probably one of the best slushboxes I've worked on. I'd put it on a part with a stock A727, a THM350, a mildly built THM700R4, and not quite as good as an iron Powerglide.

1986 was the first year - the AMC four-cylinder was solid, the GM V6 was shite. If you get the GM V6, get the drivetrain out of an S-10 with the 3.1/3.4L (drop-in swap. Grab the electronics, and get FI as well.) Get a 1986 or later with the THM700R4, and you'll pick up an OD gear as well (the A904/A909 they used was a three-speed, and used a funky bellhousing.) The THM700R4 and 4L60 (same thing) aren't electronically controlled - but the later version (4L60-E) is. I'd have to check to see what the incept date for that was.

1987-up had the AMC six available. RENIX is a good system (no matter what people try to tell you - I've had five RENIX rigs so far!) and most troubleshooting can be done with a DMM. There is no CEL/MIL, and the computer doesn't "store" or "throw" codes, so you do have to do your own thinking - but the resources are out there. A lot of people disparage the "closed" cooling system, but there's nothing wrong with it. Most people who do the conversion do so when the radiator has about had it anyhow (150-180Kmiles, per an informal poll of Jeep techs,) so they'd have fixed the problem and saved some dosh if they'd just replaced the radiator. Like any other system, flush every other year and don't use tap water and you'll be fine.

The BA-10 five-speed was used 1987-1989.5, and is crap. I've been through four of five of them in a single rig (I've only changed clutches in my 88 because I had the transmission out anyhow. I've got several friction discs in good shape in the garage as spares.) 1989.5-up got the AX-15 five-speed, and it's a much better box (the flaw with the BA-10 is that the gears are too hard, and they're brittle. I've torn several to bits, and had access to various testing goodies at school while I was doing it.) The later AX-15 (internal slave, 1989.5-1993; external slave, 1994-1999) is a direct swap, and the 2000-2001 NV3550 can probably be dropped in as well.

The four-cylinder got the AX-4 (four-speed) or AX-5 (five-speed,) and both are decent behind the four-cylinder engine. The 2.8L V6 usually got the Warner T5 5-speed manual, which also isn't bad (it's not the T5 World Class used behind V8s - as mentioned in a recent thread elsewhere - but it will get the job done and it's better than the damned Peugeot.)

The 2.8L and the 2.46L (I believe) both got the Chrysler A904/A909 early on, which isn't a "bad" box - but could have been done better. The AW4 replaced it for the most part later (about the time the A904/A909 became the 32RH, I believe.) The 2.8L is a "special case" - a Chrysler transmission with a GM bellhousing. The rest of the internals are standard Chrysler - as long as you don't crack the bell, you should be fine.

(This has turned into quite the dissertation - sorry about that. But, I just wanted to show that there's really no "bad" year for the MJ - just which specific combinations should be avoided - and why - or how to fix them. I'll shut up now....:greensmok )

Mr_Random said:
okay yeah, I wasn't sure if that's what it was called... There is one in town that NEVER moves... Long bed 4.0 d44 4wd and sits a little higher in back... In freaking perfect shape... If it wasn't in a scary neighborhood I'd go to the door and ask if they're selling... I'm jonesing so much right now! Haha...

its called a Metric ton package and they are not a 3/4 or 1 ton...still a compact pickup with 2 extra overloads in the rear packs and heaver load capacity...everything else IS the same.

I have an 87 MJ and i love it...mine is a 4.0 5spd 231 D30/D44 4.10's..wouldnt trade for a cherokee to save my life...looks great sitting 7.5" on 33"s while locked f/r :)..plus i have the Ba 10/5 and mine went 200K b4 i rebuilt it and dont plan on switching it out either

5-90, what is the last paragraph about? the 2.8 IS a GM engine with a GM bellhousing... the AMC 2.5 (I'm thinking 2.46 is right, but I'll say 2.5 to ease some confusion) IS an AMC/Chrysler engine with the GM housing... Were you thinking the Chrysler 3.8 instead?

and yeah, I screwed up the date for the ax-15... I knew it was a half year, but thought it was 88.5...

Oh, and you know too much stuff... I thought *I* knew too much crap about XJ's and MJ's!!! I don't think I'll ever stop stuffing more info in my brain though...

Mr_Random said:
5-90, what is the last paragraph about? the 2.8 IS a GM engine with a GM bellhousing... the AMC 2.5 (I'm thinking 2.46 is right, but I'll say 2.5 to ease some confusion) IS an AMC/Chrysler engine with the GM housing... Were you thinking the Chrysler 3.8 instead?

and yeah, I screwed up the date for the ax-15... I knew it was a half year, but thought it was 88.5...

Oh, and you know too much stuff... I thought *I* knew too much crap about XJ's and MJ's!!! I don't think I'll ever stop stuffing more info in my brain though...

OK - perhaps I'm missing something here. Which bit about the last paragraph has you buffaloed? It's a lot easier to explain something when I know what I'm explaining...

The AMC 150ci I4 was originally marketed as the "2.46" engine to differentiate it - not only did all of the Big 3 have a 2.5L four-cylinder at the time, but AMC had use the GM/Pontiac 151ci 2.5L "Iron Duke" 1980-1983, so that's immediately before. Just about all of the AMC literature will call it out as the 2.46L engine (I think just about everyone has used a "2.5 litre" displacement at some time or another - my wife's 2005 Suzuki Verona has a 2.5L GMDAT inline six wedged in sidewise. It was the double-roller timing chain setup that sold me on the car - it's not a damned belt. Belts are for pants, not timing. They're also useful as accessory drives.)

The 2.8L V8 block uses the "Metric GM" pattern - that started with that engine. It was also used on the 3.1L and 3.4L V6-60 engines, and I think it ended up on the 2.5L/151ci four as well for a bit. It may have ended up on the AMC 2.46L for a bit as well - but I'd have to check notes on that. The 2.8L in the XJ got a ChryCo slushbox when it got one (the A904/A909,) and it was a Chrysler box with a GM bellhousing - no relation to the ChryCo 3.8L that I know of - nor to the 238ci/3.8L V6 they came out with for trucks, which is derived from the LA block (and uses the A/LA block bellhousing pattern, same as the 318/360, 488/505ci V10, and other A/LA-block engines.)

So, if you'd let me know what I need to explain, I'll dig up my notes and see if I can't get it to make sense for you. I've no trouble doing that - I just need to know what it is I need to do it for.

(There's nothing wrong with constantly learning - it's the same way I go. Probably got started by my granddad - a polymath, autodidact, and a true modern "Renaissance Man." I've tried to be the same way. The principal reason I know so much on this subject is because it's all research for my second book - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/swap.html. It keeps me busy...)

Oh - and the AMC 2.46L/2.5L four was also used in the Dakota until sometime around 2000 as the four-cylinder option. It was marketed by ChryCo as the 2.5L, which lead to more confusion. The 2.46L four was the second-from last AMC engine in production, with the 242ci/4.0L six being last - MY2007 - and the AMC 360ci V8 being the last AMC V8 in production in the SJ until MY1992 by ChryCo. Confusion again - it was marketed alongside the ChryCo 360ci V8 in their trucks...)

5-90 said:
OK - perhaps I'm missing something here. Which bit about the last paragraph has you buffaloed? It's a lot easier to explain something when I know what I'm explaining...

The AMC 150ci I4 was originally marketed as the "2.46" engine to differentiate it - not only did all of the Big 3 have a 2.5L four-cylinder at the time, but AMC had use the GM/Pontiac 151ci 2.5L "Iron Duke" 1980-1983, so that's immediately before. Just about all of the AMC literature will call it out as the 2.46L engine (I think just about everyone has used a "2.5 litre" displacement at some time or another - my wife's 2005 Suzuki Verona has a 2.5L GMDAT inline six wedged in sidewise. It was the double-roller timing chain setup that sold me on the car - it's not a damned belt. Belts are for pants, not timing. They're also useful as accessory drives.)

The 2.8L V8(?) block uses the "Metric GM" pattern - that started with that engine. It was also used on the 3.1L and 3.4L V6-60 engines, and I think it ended up on the 2.5L/151ci four as well for a bit. It may have ended up on the AMC 2.46L for a bit as well - but I'd have to check notes on that. The 2.8L in the XJ got a ChryCo slushbox when it got one (the A904/A909,) and it was a Chrysler box with a GM bellhousing - no relation to the ChryCo 3.8L that I know of - nor to the 238ci/3.8L V6 they came out with for trucks, which is derived from the LA block (and uses the A/LA block bellhousing pattern, same as the 318/360, 488/505ci V10, and other A/LA-block engines.)

So, if you'd let me know what I need to explain, I'll dig up my notes and see if I can't get it to make sense for you. I've no trouble doing that - I just need to know what it is I need to do it for.

(There's nothing wrong with constantly learning - it's the same way I go. Probably got started by my granddad - a polymath, autodidact, and a true modern "Renaissance Man." I've tried to be the same way. The principal reason I know so much on this subject is because it's all research for my second book - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/swap.html. It keeps me busy...)

Oh - and the AMC 2.46L/2.5L four was also used in the Dakota until sometime around 2000 as the four-cylinder option. It was marketed by ChryCo as the 2.5L, which lead to more confusion. The 2.46L four was the second-from last AMC engine in production, with the 242ci/4.0L six being last - MY2007 - and the AMC 360ci V8 being the last AMC V8 in production in the SJ until MY1992 by ChryCo. Confusion again - it was marketed alongside the ChryCo 360ci V8 in their trucks...)

OH, I misread it and thought you said "The 2.8L is a "special case" - a Chrysler engine with a GM bellhousing," rather than transmission. Me thinking you said engine led me to think you were confused... because the 3.8 oddfire did come in the CJ in the early 70's I believe... ah I'm confusing myself...

The 2.46L (for simplicity's sake, the 2.5, because everyone thinks "XJ website, talking about 2.5L, it must be the AMC four cylinder," not "oh, it's a pontiac Iron Duke!" or any other 2.5 that has ever been made...), as far as I know, ALWAYS had a GM metric bolt pattern, even on the 96-00 Dakota, sporting with it the odd ax-15 with GM bellhousing combo.

Yeah yeah and the AMC V8 went the way of the dodo with the release of their last vehicle ever designed, the ZJ in 93, which took... um... 4 years(?) to get it's own 360, tagged as the 5.9L... shared with the durango...

Wow I think we ruined this thread... I still love comanche's... the only thing that could come close right now is if someone decided to turn their LJ into a jeepster remake... A Half top with enclosed bed, that would be sweet...

offroader461 said:
its called a Metric ton package and they are not a 3/4 or 1 ton...still a compact pickup with 2 extra overloads in the rear packs and heaver load capacity...everything else IS the same.
I pulled my D44 from a "metric ton" MJ :D

Hey not to highjack this thread... but I picked up and 88 MJ with a 4.0 Renix that has been completely rebuilt (engine). And the guages have been upgraded from the idiot light version to one with a tach....

PROBLEM: I don't think this guage is working properly. The fuel indicator says 1/4 tank but the light is on. The temp guage never gets up over 150*, and I swear we are doing more than 50 mph when it only says 40 mph...

Also this is an AUTO on the "TREE" vs. the floor, is this more common? Or are the other AUTO MJs out there on the floor? It is really hard trying to find the guages from an AUTO MJ on the tree... with the drive gear indicator.... anyone happen to have one?

Thanks, and again sorry for jumping this thread.

Scott

ScottyDog said:
Or are the other AUTO MJs out there on the floor?
My '87 with the 4.0 and AW4(auto) is on the floor.

Mr_Random said:
OH, I misread it and thought you said "The 2.8L is a "special case" - a Chrysler engine with a GM bellhousing," rather than transmission. Me thinking you said engine led me to think you were confused... because the 3.8 oddfire did come in the CJ in the early 70's I believe... ah I'm confusing myself...

The 2.46L (for simplicity's sake, the 2.5, because everyone thinks "XJ website, talking about 2.5L, it must be the AMC four cylinder," not "oh, it's a pontiac Iron Duke!" or any other 2.5 that has ever been made...), as far as I know, ALWAYS had a GM metric bolt pattern, even on the 96-00 Dakota, sporting with it the odd ax-15 with GM bellhousing combo.

Yeah yeah and the AMC V8 went the way of the dodo with the release of their last vehicle ever designed, the ZJ in 93, which took... um... 4 years(?) to get it's own 360, tagged as the 5.9L... shared with the durango...

Wow I think we ruined this thread... I still love comanche's... the only thing that could come close right now is if someone decided to turn their LJ into a jeepster remake... A Half top with enclosed bed, that would be sweet...

Yah - AMC used the Builck 225 V6 for a few years (and the Buick 215ci Aluminum V8, before Buick sold the tooling to Rover...)

The 150ci four did, I think, change bellhousing patterns after a few years from "GM Metric" to "AMC Gen-2/3 V8 & I6" to simplify things, but I'm not sure when offhand.

And, the 360ci V8 used in the ZJ and the Durango wasn't the AMC variant - it was the Chrysler. The AMC V8 died with the SJ in 1992.

Let's see...

The AMC 304ci V8 was last produced (I think) for the 1986 CJ-7 - which also got the D44 instead of the AMC20 rear axle.
The AMC 360ci V8 ended production with the SJ for 1992
The AMC 258ci I6 was last used in the YJ around 1990, when it was finally and fully replaced by the AMC 242ci I6
The AMC 242ci I6 halted production after the 2007 MY in the TJ. I do not believe it was used in the WJ for that year.
The AMC 150ci I4 was used through the production of the XJ in MY2001, and saw some use in the TJ until about 2002-2003 when it was replaced by the Chrysler/Benz 148ci I4 (2.4L)

Can you tell I've been doing a lot of digging around on this sort of thing of late?:eyes: :roflmao:

xj_dummy said:
Thanks for your help. I have been looking at an 86 with a 5speed 4 wheel drive for $1000.00.
Dont know what engine it has yet?

1986? Four-cylinder gasoline will be the AMC 150ci. Four-cylinder Diesel will be the Renault 126ci turbocharged (good luck finding parts!) Six-cylinder will be the GM 2.8L V6 - and the notes on swapping the thing I gave above will certainly apply there as well.

The five-speed is probably the T5 (V6) or AX-5 (four-cylinder.) I don't recall which box went behind the Diesel. The T5 and AX-5 are both well-suited for the applications that AMC used them for (the T5 also went behind various V8s in their Pax cars - they're about as common as fleas. If it's the T5, it's the Ford version - which is probably the toughest of the lot that isn't World Class.)

Looks like he might buy it, 2.5L, ax-5, np207... basically my XJ in truck form!

Oh, I know the ChryCo 5.9L has nothing to do with AMC... that's what I meant that the AMC 360 went the way of the dodo...

Mr_Random said:
Looks like he might buy it, 2.5L, ax-5, np207... basically my XJ in truck form!

Oh, I know the ChryCo 5.9L has nothing to do with AMC... that's what I meant that the AMC 360 went the way of the dodo...

Oh. I'd thought you'd meant that the ZJ 360 was the AMC engine, not the ChryCo LA-Block. Perhaps I missed something - it happens to all of us at one time or another!

Back