• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you replace cps??

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a search and couldn't find anything. I have a 1990 jeep cherokee laredo 4.0. I see where it is, but when i wedge my hand in there from the top, i have no room. anyone have any experience doing this? Also is there a way to test a new one on there without installing it in the same spot as the other one?

x2 on the extentions.
I have an 89 and it was esiest to get at from underneath the Jeep. I had to reach over the tranny body with 12 in. of extention and a pivoting head rachet.

good luck,
Billy

I unbolt the tranny X member and lower the tailend of the tranny with a jack. Use about 24" in extensions with an 11mm socket. When you put the bolts back in, hold the bolts in the socket with grease, otherwise you can (albeit you really have to F up to do it) drop the bolts into the bellhousing.

Oh and don't forget to take about three valium with a 5th of whisky before you start, it helps to maintain your ccccccaaaaalllllmmm :D

u dont have to drop anything. just use extensions. feel up there with your hand to find the bolt. without ever doing it, you should be able to do it fairly easy. 45 minutes or so. after doing it once you can knock it out in about 15 minutes.

I just did mine a few days ago. the bolts are 11mm.
I have every extension available. the only thing i used was my bare hands and unscrewed the bolts by hand. if you have small hands it will be the easiest way to do this.
If they are on too tight then use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a short 11mm socket and wiggle it around the bellhousing and onto the nuts. break them loose then use your hands to unscrew the bolts.

I have done this twice now, each time took a while since it was pitch black outside and was only using a flashlight. Oh and the last time i did this, the one bolt did fall through the housing, unscrew the two 14mm and two 18mm bolts on the flywheel cover and simply retrieve your bolt/washer.

A suggestion if you have good light and some extra time.(Next time I have to do this i certainly will)
If you use a dremel and cut the holes on the new cps open making them a half moon shape, you would never have to actually take out the bolts again! just simply slip the CPS out of the housing and slide it back in.

Back