• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Red/Clear only tails?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So I was following an XJ today, not sure if he's on here or what, it's a gunmetal blue XJ with custom tails of some sort. They were Red on top like normal, but the Amber was gone and it was strait clear. Any idea what this is or who makes 'em?

Here's a quicky photoshop

6tct8k.jpg

He probably used candy paint on the amber portion. Someone on here has pics of it.

This area gives me heartburn!Alot of states have banned "Bluedots",but its ok to paint your lenses and run a 50 year old lense that sheds light like a piece of cheese!Only a DOT approved(and in good working order) should be allowed,its about my safety as much as yours!STR

RCP Phx said:
This area gives me heartburn!Alot of states have banned "Bluedots",but its ok to paint your lenses and run a 50 year old lense that sheds light like a piece of cheese!Only a DOT approved(and in good working order) should be allowed,its about my safety as much as yours!STR

Old toyota trucks come to mind. The red "fades" to orange when the brakes are applied!

TRSCobra said:
Old toyota trucks come to mind. The red "fades" to orange when the brakes are applied!
Yeap,now put it in a rainstorm or even better,one of our famous dust storms,you cant see sh*t!

I know that a lot of guys with imports would order the ricer all clear lights off ebay, then use the candy paint red on the portions they wanted. it looks pretty good once done right. not sure if you can find the clear lights for an xj though, but i'd search ebay.

It definitely didn't look like these taillights?

fitched.jpg

I have not found any red/clear (no amber) lamps except for those cheesy rice IPCW/ebay tails, and painted lamps. I was looking at my busted spare, and wondering if you couldn't cut and splice some clear sections in, but you'd screw up your turn signals, and probably break a lot of left coast laws.

RCP Phx said:
You mind telling me what the problem is with a RED and clear lense? The blinker bulb would be amber... just no amber lense... what's the problem?

And Hubs, no, they look exactly like the ones I photoshopped. Maybe he baked them and took the amber piece out I dunno, I've seen people do it.

crazyjim said:
You mind telling me what the problem is with a RED and clear lense? The blinker bulb would be amber... just no amber lense... what's the problem?

And Hubs, no, they look exactly like the ones I photoshopped. Maybe he baked them and took the amber piece out I dunno, I've seen people do it.
It was more of a response to painting them or anything other mod vs a "sold" "DOT" lenses,I have had simular concerns with some of the new lamps(headlight,LED,etc).I drive alot for my work and my son drives big rigs(my dad did also)!
That and they should give out tickets for the "cheese" lenses(red or amber)!

Last edited:
crazyjim said:

That would be pretty boss if he didn't fsck it up. I've seen some earlier XJ lights that didn't have the amber lens, thought they were better looking than the 97+.

Back