• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RichardStone

NAXJA Forum User
I just retired from U.S. Intelligence, am a new member of NAXJA and looking to buy my first XJ to fix up and play with.:patriot:

Which is better, the AW-15 five speed manual or the AW-4 automatic?

Which is better and stronger, the Select-Trac or the Command-Trac?

I intend to play with my toy but nothing "radical" mostly fishing, camping, hunting and exploring trails. Thinking of these improvements:

1. 2 to 3 inch lift with ALL NECESSARY EXTRA COMPONENTS such as upper and lower control arms, steering stabilizer, shocks, control arm etc.

2. 30 x 9.50 or 31 x 10.50 tires mounted on 8 in. wheels

3. rock sliders

4. front and rear bumper (with tire carrier)

5. roof rack

Any and all suggestions from club members would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your assistance. Looking forward to meeting you all at NAXJA events.

It's an AX-15 5-speed, and comparing it to an AW-4 is apples and oranges. They're both solid transmissions, but difficult to compare.

NP231 vs NP242 is similar - both have their advantages and have been discussed ad nauseum 'round these parts. NP231s at least have more aftermarket options including slip-yoke eliminators.

'Search' is going to be your friend. With a 2" or 3" lift, stock length control arms are fine, but you will likely still benefit from upgrading them to a stronger assembly.

You're a Forum User, not a Member. It's a pretty weak distinction, but the only way some of the asshats around here feel like they've got some control in their lives when they harp on ya for that one...
rolleye.gif

Welcome aboard,
Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
You're a Forum User, not a Member. It's a pretty weak distinction, but the only way some of the asshats around here feel like they've got some control in their lives when they harp on ya for that one...
rolleye.gif

Welcome aboard,
Jim www.yuccaman.com

I'd have to agree to an extent.

I don't really even consider the "name in red" as a real distinction. I just considered it a cheap donation to keep my favorite site up and running.

To me a "member" has contributed in some way to the benefit of others, not just paying the subscription fee. I think all of the guys who put time in to run the forum, contribute great write-ups that everyone refers to (even end up as stickys), and provide a wealth of knowledge to others are the real "members". I don't care if they're name is black, red, blue, whatever.

They're the reason NAXJA is THE XJ site to visit. :patriot:

Which is better, the AW-15 five speed manual or the AW-4 automatic?
===============================================
If your a slush box driver in general. Then (IMO) stay with them. Else sticks rule.
Slush boxes are more forgiving when your under geared.
They also have a natural anti-rollback that manuals don't. I will say I have rolled back into some deep dodo with my stick.
Some say they are harder to stall. That's not a real problem if you don't drive them like a slush box (IMO)
They cost of repair/replace is a hard call from day to day deals can be had on both.

Back