• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Eaton E-Locker Install

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
OK...I've searched...and searched. Found very little/nothing for threads on putting an Eaton E-Locker into a D30. I'm re-gearing my D30 front end to 4.56 and putting in an E-Locker. The rear is getting an 8.8 with 4.56's and an Auburn Ected.

Anyway...I've found out that the E-Locker has only been available for the D30 since late '07/early '08...probably explains the lack of install threads.

I've been diligently following the instructions, but when it comes to drilling a 1/2" hole in the left (drivers) side of the differential housing....well, I can't find a good spot! Seems that the upper Control Arm interferes with any good spot for the hole.

So...what about drilling into the differential cover? Has anybody done this install? How did they route the wiring from the carrier out of the housing? Were there other issues I haven't encountered yet? Where did youi mount the switch?

I'm thinking of mounting on the center console, just to the right of the shifter. Good place or bad? Alternate is dash "blank" spot to the right of the main cluster (were the clock is).

I think this is a good discussion to start...will try to come back with pics on my install, for all to learn from my mistakes!

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Yea, the Eaton E-Locker for the D-30 is new. I want to put one in my D-30 to compliment the Auburn in the D-44 but I am in the Caribbean (2 months now).

Which locker did you get, the pin type or the collar type?

It is difficult for me to say exactly where to drill the hole for the wires without seeing the diff and the wires/wire grommet. I would not want to route them through the cover though for 3 reasons.
1) They could easily get caught on rocks or sticks. A properly designed
bracket could help out in protecting them.
2) You would have to remove the wires every time you do an oil change.
3) Adjusting the length of wires left inside the diff would be difficult to say
the least. Too long a wire and they could get caught on the gears and
:explosion.

I am sure there are other reasons why I would not do this but;....

Let us know how it work for you. I will be doing this when I return to the US.

Good luck :cheers:

The text below is taken from the Eaton installation guide. It did say left side or right side of the diff.

Step 20 – Drill Grommet Hole
An exit hole for the Eaton ELocker™ coil wire grommet will
need to be drilled in the upper left or right quadrant of the
axle housing depending upon design. Fit the ELocker into
the axle housing taking careful note of wire location. The
hole location should be in an area that will keep the wiring
away from rotating parts and sharp edges. Once the ideal
grommet location has been determined, based on wire
length and axle housing configuration, remove unit and
prepare for drilling. You will need to mark, punch, and drill a
” (12.7mm) maximum diameter thru hole. Note: When
drilling through a material thickness less than ” (6.35mm) a
slightly smaller hole of 29/64” (11.51mm) –minimum
diameter will insure a tighter seal. Take care when drilling
not to contaminate the differential sump with metal shavings.
Cover bearings and bearing surfaces before drilling and
clean area after drilling. A shop vacuum cleaner works well.

The instructions that came with my unit did not offer the option for tapping right OR left side. The right side is the ring gear side and I cannot see tapping beyond the ring gear and running the wire between the housing and the ring gear to get back to the collar.

My instructions also call for installation of an "anti-rotation bracket", which wasn't included in the kit, nor is it needed as far as I can tell as the anti-rotation tabs rest against the case.

Anyway...more to follow and, as always, I appreciate the opinions expressed.

OK...I've double-checked the E-Locker installation instructions that specify drilling the gromet hole in the LEFT side of the differential case, not either side. Also I've looked again at the differential housing...the upper control arm bracket attachment to the differential case makes drilling in the left side difficult. Also, the inside of the case is very uneven where the outside is even...again making a clean hole very difficult.

Although I agree drilling the cover will make fluid changes challenging, it won't make them impossible. Drilling the cover near the top shouldn't expose the wiring to too much trail debris...will it?

Anyway...I'm pressing forward...will continue to post progress and my experience. Taking the 8.8 in to have tubes welded tomorrow. Whoo Hooo.

P.S. I have pics...but haven't figured out how to post them with the text. When I figure it out, I'll post them as well.

Flyfisher,

What ever become of your D30 Eaton install?

Do you have pics;... is it working for you?

Back