• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 HID conversion kit

That price has dropped in the last 3 months or so. I was gonna order a set but got caught up in a stroker build. Glad I waited!! I'm gonna get the dual as well since it's now the price the single beam was.

Thanks for the reminder

I thought you needed a special housing for HID's

Not sure if I'd trust a $80 bi-xenon kit. Have you ever seen HID's in an e-code housing? Not really sure how that would look. I've been tempted to try it, but I guess I'll just wait on you guys.

Actually, I've heard that HID's in an e-code are actually bright as F*CK lol. I dunno, I guess we'll find out this weekend when I install mine. I have Delta Tech H4 housings.

Jeepin has a review. I didn't know HIDs could be so small.

You could also use HIR bulbs. If you google you'll find them. They use a coating on the glass to reflect IR light back to the filament, heating it up more.

winkosmosis said:
Jeepin has a review. I didn't know HIDs could be so small.

You could also use HIR bulbs. If you google you'll find them. They use a coating on the glass to reflect IR light back to the filament, heating it up more.
HIR bulbs are junk.

I'm running the VVME bi-xenon kit and I like it, although after about 4 months so far, my passenger headlight no longer switches from hi/lo. They're sending me a new bulb. However I'm not sure what caused it... The front header panel has been on and off an awful lot lately.

I have them and they are a great light with my autopal e-codes.

However, when you get them make sure to check if everythingis there. i didn't have a ballast and they said that i would have to buy it because they did not believe i didnt get one. BullSH** customer service IMO.

Josh

I'd love to see some pics of the results. I am thinking of doing this conversion but I was a little wary about water resistancy, bulb clearance, etc. I already have a set of E-codes installed and I think if its worth it, it'll be a great addition.

crazyjim said:
HIR bulbs are junk.

I'm running the VVME bi-xenon kit and I like it, although after about 4 months so far, my passenger headlight no longer switches from hi/lo. They're sending me a new bulb. However I'm not sure what caused it... The front header panel has been on and off an awful lot lately.

What's wrong with HIR?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736

HIR Lighting (Halogen Infrared Reflecting)–

NOTE: HIR Bulbs are only made for the 9005 and 9006. They do not make any other base on these bulbs.

These are a new type of bulb originally created by General Electric. According to www.hirheadlights.com “It was GE's goal to create a bulb that produced 75% of the light output of HID headlights at 25% of the cost.” These bulbs are used as OEM bulbs for the Dodge Viper, BMW Z8, Infiniti I30, Chevy Avalance and new Nissan Maximas.”

This is a bulb made for the replacement of the 9005 and 9006 bulbs. The bulbs are similar in the fact that the filaments are the same size and located in the same place. But the base is a little bit different. The use of a file or a knife for about 5-10mins will make the HIR bulbs fit into the socket of the 9005’s or 9006’s. Here is a site in reference to the minor modification to the base of the bulb that has to be made to fit into our cars. http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

It’s hard to tell in the photo but the HIR lights are TONS brighter. I have the HIR lights in my car. In my personal experience, when I turn the HIR’s on, they light up the road just like they are made, the distance that the light it thrown onto the road is amazing.

The website http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...6_Light&page=1 also talks about these and recommends these headlights for use replacing the 9005 and 9006 bulbs.

I would strongly recommend getting these in your car. If you talk to Daniel Stern, he highly recommends buying these. They are $30 each bulb and very well worth it. To purchase go to www.hirheadlights.com and go to their ebay link from there.

But I just discovered that there is none for H4

ive had HIDs in every car ive owned...

technically they are supposed to be in a projector housing. however with proper aiming they will be fine in a reflector like the jeeps.

i just bought an HID conversion kit and headlights...so im excited to see how they turn out. i am going to do them this weekend.

Before:
aug08+004.jpg

After
aug08+008.jpg

HIDs at 5K with Hella Vision Plus housings that are DOT legal and still have a great cutoff.

High/Low HID kits ARE JUNK! Run away and do not waste your money. If it uses a halogen bulb for the high, it's horrible. If it just moves the bulb or a shield, it's still junk, but not as bad as the halogen high. Seriously, stay the heck away.

You need to get a cheap H4 housing with a completely clear lens. Do a retrofit of an Inifniti FX, or Acura TSX (among others) projector. Get the proper D2S bulbs, ballasts, etc. and do it right! You will be so much happier with the results.

And FWIW: HIR bulbs are NOT junk. You need to go back to your research if that's the conclusion you've come to. For Halogen lighting, they really can't be beat. Since HIR is not an option for H4's, and if you want to avoid the the HID route, there are some higher wattage halogen H4's out there that you can run. Just make SURE you purchase E-code headlights (or similar glass housings) and I would fully recommend upgrading your wiring harness to something like mine (12 gauge wiring, two relays, runs right off the bettery).

djblade311 said:
Before:
aug08+004.jpg

After
aug08+008.jpg

HIDs at 5K with Hella Vision Plus housings that are DOT legal and still have a great cutoff.

The cutoff with the new lamps is much higher. You're the jerk dazzling me and burning my retinas, not to mention people driving cars.

I have that VVME kit with hella e-codes and couldn't be happier. My jeep's seen lots of mud lately and they still function perfectly. I get compliments all the time, and I never have gotten flashed for them being too bright.

Sure you could buy some cheap clear plastic housings (that'll yellow in a year)and put god knows how many hours into finding/retrofitting a projector into them (that probably won't fit anyway due to depth issues) to "do it the right way." Or you could go this route, save time, money, and have excellent headlight performance.

Back