• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to no if i can't cut this

BigRedMachine

NAXJA Forum User
look I'm building a cage and there are a few things i'm not sure if I can cut off and replace. first is the step above the rock guad it is like a channel connected to the floor of the jeep.The next item I would like to cut out or open is the peice connected to the first peice it is the A pillar I think the part of the body where your front door hinges are. How much structural are these peices when you have chopped off as much as I have.

DSC01691.jpg

Here is a more direct picture of what i want to cut out.
DSC01411.jpg

:eek:

I'm sure you guys do this all the time, but man, that made me spit beer on my keyboard...lol :cheers:

I'd say the structural integrity went out before the piece you speak of, although I know you will probably cage it anyway.

Good job on the chop. That looks like something the tweakers around here would do . :D

wholly freoly batman. Nothing like a little trim...lol I think you must have read mu post seriously about taking the roof rack off and installing a 1995 XJ underneath it..lol How about some pre build and chop pictures with future updates.

:hang:

without the tubes on the side the floor is very flexy, even though it does have some beads rolled into it. I cout mine out and replaced them with some 2x3 tube and used some 1/8" angle iron. Not sure about the lower portion of the A pillar, I left mine whole to keep the front glass.

jmop said:
without the tubes on the side the floor is very flexy, even though it does have some beads rolled into it. I cout mine out and replaced them with some 2x3 tube and used some 1/8" angle iron. Not sure about the lower portion of the A pillar, I left mine whole to keep the front glass.

pics please
thanks I have been thinking about extending the floor out a few inches and welding it to my rock guard there is a square tube there behind the bent tube.

I just fab. the beads this past weekend. I also already have the tube for my cage but I just haven't decided how I want to do it.

What's left to cut? Start back with a structural tube frame, then remove the rest of the red stuff.

That is one heckuva project you've got going. Is that the stock hood I see still in place up front?

Mark

here are some pics. The 1/8" angle was used to pull the floor in tight to the 2x4 ( I put 2x3 in my previous post but it was 2x4) I stich welded the angle to the floor. The edge wasn't very streight so the angle took care of that and then the angle was pulled against the rect tube and welded in.

The floor isn't perfectly flat either the angle was able to form to the floor and have enough material to weld to the tube. I think on the front part I had to grind some of the angle down to the level of the tube and it was a little below the top in the back area.

10004468db.jpg

1000448eq8.jpg

thanks.

jmop said:
here are some pics. The 1/8" angle was used to pull the floor in tight to the 2x4 ( I put 2x3 in my previous post but it was 2x4) I stich welded the angle to the floor. The edge wasn't very streight so the angle took care of that and then the angle was pulled against the rect tube and welded in.

The floor isn't perfectly flat either the angle was able to form to the floor and have enough material to weld to the tube. I think on the front part I had to grind some of the angle down to the level of the tube and it was a little below the top in the back area.

10004468db.jpg

1000448eq8.jpg

I like it!

We're getting a bender at the shop where I work. Please tell what brand and model it is cuz it does the job LOL.

Keep up the good work man. What's the overall plan for it?

Back