• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another fuel pump thread long

nickguy

NAXJA Forum User
So back in April I installed a Carter fuel pump. This weekend, of course in the middle of nowhere it died. Essentially seized up. Direct current to the pigtail produced the faint thunk of a seized electric motor (confirmed when I got the pump out). Did a run to a not so local Schucks and the only thing they had was the same bloody pump. (it is described as a "bosch oe pump but I do not see anything but carter stamped on the pump") Anyway siphoned some gas out and did the fun replacement on the side of the road. Got lucky and did the swap in an hour. (Got to say that flange is a dumb design) A Naches run was then done and the day was saved.

Now I have read about the Carter pumps being junk and that they do not deal well with bumpy roads. When I pulled the pump out the filter had fallen off the little tube that it is mounted on. When I installed it I have to say it struck me as a little lame but went ahead. With the roadside repair I wired the filter on and zip tied the filter to the tube.

Here is my theory. That the pumps are not so bad but it is the filter design. That they fall off going over big bumps and it is only a matter of time before the pump sucks something up that clogs it. Or they are just junk.

I am going ot get a Bosch pump and use the Carter as a spare. Any comments though? I think 3 months for a Jeep that just does trail stuff for the most part is pretty lame.

i just replaced mine with an airtex from autozone. i am not sold on airtex yet, but so far it is working. i have heard both good and bad about carter. 3 months stinks. maybe try a different brand with a better attached sock. also did you replace the fuel pump relay? the relay could have smoked the new pump.

Get a junkyard pump. My original pump-89 xj orig. owner- I thought was going out after only 300,000 mi. Turned out to be the little rubber hose connecting the pump to the fuel line was half way off. Go figure, but that stock pump has over 334,000 mi. on it. I have a junkyard backup for r5eplacement.

One of the guys I work with is a former Jeep mechanic and parts guy. He said that other than OE/Bosch he would only suggest an Airtex pump. I replaced mine last week, but luckly it died in my driveway. I bought a Mopar Performance pump (Bosch pump) and a screen for $118. Luckly we don't have to drop the tank to swap em.

~Alex

Oh man that brings back memories of me on a country road on Coastal North Carolina, i had already bought a pump and it was in the back but DAMN does it suck dropping a tank on the side of the road. I feel your pain brother.

So anyone know the if the carter p74155 is a Carter pump or a Bosch pump? Is it a Bosch "type" pump? Made under license? False advertising? Am trying to decide whether to pull the damn thing out and replace it with something else. This is what the partsamerica site lists it as. This is driving me nuts.

Vehicle:
spaclear.gif
1990 JEEP CHEROKEE
spaclear.gif
spaclear.gif
Engine:
spaclear.gif
L6 4.0 Liter FI
spaclear.gif
spaclear.gif
spaclear.gif
In Tank Fuel Pump And Strainer Set: With Bosch Oe Pump

Basically this is the same pump that failed.

Thanks for the posts and sympathy. Fuel pump replacement is not an ideal roadside repair unless one enjoys huffing gas fumes and imagining huge explosions caused by
a stray spark as you pound off the retaining ring. Good times.

Back