• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Sounds...Help!!!

CyberjeepEric

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 1997 4-Door, 4WD, 4.0L, Auto with 52,000 miles. It is pretty stripped down, old police vehicle. I have noticed two sounds that I haven't been able to place yet. One is a slight clanging that sounds like something is hitting the inner left front fender well. Almost sounds like a loose wiring harness swinging around. The other is like a jingling sound from underneath the middle or rear, possibly in the exhaust. Both occur over bumps. I've taken a quick look, I don't see anything obvoius. I do need new motor mounts, but that is a sound I can recognize. The other two are very different.

If you need new motor mounts, it's possible that the sag is allowing the exhaust to hit the crossmember. That usually causes a clunking noise at idle and low speed, but could do other things as well. You might also check for a loose heat shield on the cat, or for rusted clamps.

CyberjeepEric said:
a jingling sound from underneath the middle or rear

Check the coil spring retainer clamps next to the lower shock bolts and the exhaust pipe clamps near the leaf spring.

CyberjeepEric said:
It is pretty stripped down, old police vehicle. .

If you've seen how cops drive their vehicles, it could be ANYTHING.....
check the parts between the bumper and other bumper.

Back