• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents and Water Prevention

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about getting some hood vents, probably the LeBaron ones, but one thing that seems to bother people is water coming in either from hard rain or a water crossing. Also, in the winter doesn't it seem like you'd want to close them up. So with political season in full swing I was noticing people with those magnets. Couldn't you take one of those big magnets like people have on the side of their doors, paint it and cover the vents when you're concerned about water? Granded my Jeep paint job is a POS so I see where it could be a problem for some conerned about that. Maybe put the magnet on the bottom of the hood instead of the top. Just thinking and thought y'all might could use or shoot down the idea.

Meh. I'm not worried about a little water from the vents. If you saw how much rainwater flies up under your Jeep while driving through a storm, you wouldn't either.

Also, if you have to worry about water running in the vents during a water crossing, you're a little deep already. I have splashed water in mine (muddy stinky water in fact) with no ill effects.

Edit: to answer your magnet question, I don't know if they would stay on at highway speed with wind moving over them laterally instead of vertically.

I haven't had any problems with mine over the past two years so I don't think you need to worry about covering them. As for the winter the Jeep will warm just fine. The only difference I have notice is underhood temps. The engine still runs at the same temps.

As for the mag. sheet, you would have to test it. If they are strong enough to stay on the side of a car they will probably work on the hood.

If you get some 280Z vents, used of course, they sometimes have plates that secure to the bottom of them via screw-studs.
I once had one, i miss that car.
And when you are driving, the heat from the engine would evaporate any rain water coming down before it has time to stop. And as said before, if you are worried about water crossings going in over the hood into the vents, you are pretty deep anyway. I had the same concerns, i did it anyway, and if i thought it was going to rain, i gave the area a good dose of WD-40 underneath, especially since i had it a little over the TPs, i didnt want it corroding. Never had issues.

I've had more water come up through mine than I have had go down through them. No problems. JIM.

Don't worry about it. If you can drive your jeep through a deep water crossing then a little rain wont hurt it.

Back