• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld on housing???

87xjeep

NAXJA Forum User
stock upper control arm mount on a cast housing? Can i weld to the housing or do i have to build a truss and brace it off there? its a dana 44 hp of a 78 ford. i need to put a upper control arm bracket to mount up a 3 link in a xj

Last edited:
What axle is this on? Is there a decent amount of axle tube on the driver side? Ive seen people weld to cast iron but if you can run a piece from one side of the axle tube above and over to the other side and place your UCA mount on top of that.

:dunno: Your question isn't clear. The drivers side mount is part of the casting, Non disco passenger side is stamped steel, you have to use a truss to connect it to the casting as it's 12" away.

4LowandGo said:
In short... You need a bridge like the one shown in the kit below:.
Now your question is clear, 2x 4LowandGo, I wouldn't want to weld the mount onto the casting even though I'm sure there are people out there that have done it succesfully .A bridge looks like the way to go to me.

I had a fab shop do one for me a while back, welded a stock UCA mount to a 44 pumpkin, they used a high nickle rod, pre heated and controled cool down. It withstood 37" boggers for two years and is now backing up 37" Iroks. It has been beat pretty hard with no side effects.

I think it's ok to do if you have someone who knows what they are doing do the work for you.

Back