• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise with clutch depressed

rockhead

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a grinding noise when the clutch is depressed. It is a very loud noise that seems to come and go. It does no affect the way it drives but it sure does not sound good. Any Ideas what it might be? This is on a 90xj with an ax15 trans.

3x t/o, That should still be the hydraulic type. What a pita. You should change to the later style as long as you have it apart. One of the things MOPAR got right was getting rid of that pos. I believe you need the newer bell housing, other than that it should be a bolt in. The later has style a conventional slave cylinder. There should be several threads on this conversion.

Another T/O diagnosis.

A 90 XJ is gonna be an internal slave, and IIRC, that's still an AX15. To make the conversion, you'll need a master/slave set, a bell housing, and all parts inside the bell housing except clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel. I'd put a new clutch in it myself, if I was making the conversion.

Can someone paint a picture for me. What is grinding? Is it causing damage? I just changed the clutch about 5,000 miles ago not looking forward to doing it again.

On a 90, that's an internal slave with an integral bearing. Sounds like you replaced it.

Back