• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Eliminator install problem.

squirrel80

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to install the Tom Woods super duty SYE with the larger output shaft on a 231 transfer case. My problem is the chain spoket will not fit the new shaft. I did not read anything that said that I need to change this part also or did a new one come with my kit. So my question is what do I need to make this work? A new chain spoket, a whole new chain set, or what? I have heard of a wide chain kit is this what I need? Thanks for the input I will be calling Tom Woods in the morning, but for now I'm stuck.

DSC03813.jpg

old shaft with chain spoket...

DSC03814.jpg

new shaft with chain sproket wanting to fit...

Can Man is correct, you have to press out the old roller bearings, and then the sprocket slides right onto the shaft... then there is no bearing...

if you dont have a press, using the new HD SYE shaft as a punch, and using adead blow hammer to press the bearings out worked for me... just be sure not to booger the threads on the back...

:anon:

squirrel80 said:
OK, no turning back. Thank you for the quick reply. I'll let you know how it turns out, but I still don't like it.:dunno:

95+ 231 cases didn't have the roller bearings. Someone at a much higher pay grade than you or I decided it was OK. I have yet to see a case fail because the sprocket seized on the main shaft. :spin1: Oh, and my SYE shaft had over 50k miles on it before I sold the case, 150k total on the sprocket. ;)

Yeah I just used a punch and hammer to slowly walk the caged bearings out.

Just take your time, and I've taken my t-case...almost 50k miles? between 2 rigs without them. Don't even worry about it.

Back