• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yj axles and u joints?? Help please.

I know I've seen a thread on this recently.... I just can't seem to find it again.

I was out at our local wheelin' spot and decided to drive through a large-ish hole that I have driven through many times in just the past week and the darn thing swallowed me whole. I grenaded the front right u joint completely destroying the yoke on the wheel side. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread that said that you can use the axles out of a YJ?? which have the bigger u-joints (I think 297's). I'm just wondering which years will work and any other related info would also be much appreciated.

I have a '92 laredo with a dana 30. Thanks for your help, I'm hoping to head out to the junk-yard tomorrow.

Yeah, only the 95 YJ's had the 297x disco shafts... very hard to find, very expensive when you do (I looked)

go with the one piece TJ or XJ 96+ 297x shafts. They can be had rather cheaply.

CanMan said:
YJ pass side wont work, they are a vacuum disco axle. IIRC, it was only one year where they had a non disco 297 joint axle, but Im not for sure.

TJ, or another XJ, ZJ, MJ will have the shaft you're looking for.

Not sure if I understand this correctly. If I want to stick with the vacuum disco, can I use the pass side shaft ? I'm supposed to be going on a wheelin trip this weekend and with work, etc. I'm trying to keep this from being too time consuming.

Didnt know that to begin with.

1991 was the cut off year for the front disco D30. Some had them, most didnt. Figured you had a non disco becasue you listed yours as a 1992. Must have been swapped in over the last 16 years at some point.

So back to the question, yea, they should work, from a YJ.

justdifferentials.com will have the axle parts you need, it's not really cheap, but better than trying to pick a used one out of the junkyard

CanMan said:
1991 was the cut off year for the front disco D30. Some had them, most didnt. Figured you had a non disco becasue you listed yours as a 1992. Must have been swapped in over the last 16 years at some point.

My research indicates that 95 (or possibly 96??) was the last year for disconnect axles.

HTeK said:
My research indicates that 95 (or possibly 96??) was the last year for disconnect axles.

Nope. CanMan had it right.

The last year for discos in the XJ was 91, All YJs[87/95] had discos. ABS was an option on YJs 90 & later. All ABS axles have the 297 u-joints. I have never seen an XJ dico with ABS but they might exist. There are no listings for XJ disco ABS axles, only the YJ, so that indicates to me that ABS was not available on disco XJs.

Last edited:
Ok, so...

You guys were right, My '92 doesn't have the disco axle. I went to the JY and got a pair of axles out of a '98. My question now is how muck bigger should the 297 u-joints be than my stock ones? I took a quick look for part numbers on the new joints and its gonna take some cleaning to be able to read anything and while they do appear to be a little bit bigger, the difference is marginal.

The guy who runs the JY seemed familiar with what I was doing as they specialize in Jeeps and he told me that they were the bigger ones but I'd like to make sure before I start teardown (and yes I know I could measure and compare but this seems easier).

Thanks in advance.

Lay a measuring tape across one of the caps.

260 = 1 1/16" (1.06")
297/760 = 1 3/16" (1.18")

BudgetXJ said:
Thanks. I got the right ones then. I don't know why but I thought there was a bit bigger difference. Hopefulyy these won't break as easy.

If the joints are bad, replace them with some Spicer joints.

Maybe tack down 2 sides of each cap. That'll help some with them not breaking as easy.

upgrade them to 760x u joints and you'll be even better. same size as 297x, just stronger.

Back