• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which tire (Goodyear MT/R, Toyo M/T, Baja Claw, Xterrain) - have you run them?

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to narrow down every component of my project, so when the money comes I will know exactly what I want and where I want to buy from so there will be no delay. Right now I am in the process of tire selecting. I know I want to run 315/75-16's (35's and yes I know they have a D load rating). Anyway, deciding between the Goodyear MT/R, Toyo Open Country M/T, Baja Claw Radial, or Pro Comp XTerrain Radial. Cost and noise aren't an issue. It will be a daily driver (in the winter too), which means it needs to get me to work 5-8 times on snowy roads. I know any mud terrain won't be great in snow/wet/ice, but wondering what anyone has for input that has actually run these tires. I always really liked the Baja Claw radials, but I need to make sure safety is somewhat of a factor.
Thanks

They're not on your list, but what about the Interco TrXus M/Ts? They're available in 35x12.50R16. I absolutely love mine. Mud, rocks, snow, street; they've been great in every terrain.

claws are REALLY nice i daily drive a set of 33x12.50's on a spooled rearend, in the rain and whatever the day throws at me. my only beef is that they have worn really quick, but thats partly due to the fact that i drive over 100 miles a day and the spool eats up the rear tires, but off road i have never run a better tire and i've run swampers and a buncha different stuff

are they radials, or just reg comp claws? have you driven on snowy roads? I will have an ARB in the front/rear. how many miles you think to get out of a set? I drive about 10k/year

BigOrangeXJ said:
are they radials, or just reg comp claws? have you driven on snowy roads? I will have an ARB in the front/rear. how many miles you think to get out of a set? I drive about 10k/year

radials, and i've never driven in snow, if you have a selectable locker in the rear you should be fine, mine handles great with a spool even in the rain, also with selectable you should get a lot better mileage than me, i think you should have a lot of tire left, i drive like 10k in 2-3 months :D

Mambeu said:
They're not on your list, but what about the Interco TrXus M/Ts? They're available in 35x12.50R16. I absolutely love mine. Mud, rocks, snow, street; they've been great in every terrain.

I've thought about them, and actually photoshopped a set on my XJ, but I have read reviews about highway blowouts w/ these, and I'm not a major fan of the widewall pattern (dumb, I know). I forgot to mention the Baja MTZ, also

I did allot of research when I bought my tires, I ended up with the GY MTR. I love me! My first set was 31's, now I have 32's. I can't speak for the 35's but mine are a great on ice, snow, etc.... I think they amazing off road EXCEPT for in mud, then I think you can find a better tire like a bogger or something.

For what you want, I think you would LOVE the MTR.

Good luck.

Norwich, Ct.........Dont over look MAXXIS Bighorns,
alot like MTR's without the cost...I think it's Maxxis.com,
site is a'lil tough to get through but worth the effort.

Excellent in all conditions & MORE than you discribe from
someone less than 45 minutes away from you wheeling
and traveling the same areas.

I have run the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial Claws
awesome on rock, sand and mud. especially rock.
dry road - good. wet road - bad. snowy road - fegetaboutit.

...BOB

I loved my 33x12.50 claws. Snow, mud and rocks in Maryland are what I drove them on. If I got stuck it was due to bad driving, never the tires. They were also my road tires, and actually wore pretty well. I sorta forgot to rotate them for the first, oh say, 15,000 miles. I had about 25,000 miles on them before putting on AT's, but my Claws still have about 70% tread left and are great spare trail tires that I use when I can. I just use the AT"s since I drive a lot more to work now.

Basically, Claws are badass offroad,and with proper care, serve well on road as well.

Chris

I've been running 33" Goodyear MTR's on my XJ, my freind has been running 35" Goodyear MTR's on a full size Blazer they work great and last long. I've been running 38" SuperSwomper Radial TSL's w/5.38 gears and lockers front and back on a Lightning 4.3L Suzuki Samurai. On light weight vehicles they wear great and lasted over 2 years.

part of the "bad" handling is attributed to my rear detroit.
But, the claws didn't claw much when I tried to stop in snow or rain.
each vehicle is different.
I have no rear sway bar.
and, I have 4.88 gearing

blah, blah, blah :D

...BOB

ill second the good year mtr vote. I run them in 37's and absolutely love them. They grip like mad, but just stay away from mud b/c they do goo up quickly.

But on that note, when these tires run out, i will probably be switching to something in the swamper flavor instead of mtr's

Matt

I'm running 33" truxs and I love them. Dry, wet, snow, ice, on and of road. Also they look like they'll last a while. They are hevey tires though.

BigOrangeXJ said:

You will get about a yrs worth out of them, then.....

I have had all the above except the Toyo.

MTR - great all around tire (seriously all around)
Claw (good in all off road terrain - the worst mileage tire I ever had)
Xterrains (current tire) great so far in everything, except they seem to be chunking some, but may be due to the need for extra tire speeds in the recent soft stuff I been in.

I would look in to the Creepy crawler (my next tire of choice when that time comes). Dont know if its avail in your exact size though, also the MTZ baja.

ckh550 said:
I loved my 33x12.50 claws. . I sorta forgot to rotate them for the first, oh say, 15,000 miles. I had about 25,000 miles on them before putting on AT's, but my Claws still have about 70% tread left

I have to call :bs: sorry..

So you are telling someone that you had 25,000 miles on a Claw and at current rate of wear looking to get an expected 90,000 miles until they are at around 10-20% left?!

:twak:

On a TJ that I used mine on (setup was 4.0, detroits F&R, 35's, manual, about 4100lbs) at around 7000 miles I sold them and they were at best around 40% left. Yes great all around tire, less so in rock and better in mud.

Red97XJ said:
I did allot of research when I bought my tires, I ended up with the GY MTR. I love me! My first set was 31's, now I have 32's. I can't speak for the 35's but mine are a great on ice, snow, etc.... I think they amazing off road EXCEPT for in mud, then I think you can find a better tire like a bogger or something.

For what you want, I think you would LOVE the MTR.

Good luck.

I love MTRs, I've had a set of 35's and now 37's and they are quite on the road and have good manner and have never let me down offroad. My only beef is they are not that great in the mud, but what they call mud here in Cali is more like wet slippery clay mud, not the black dirt/mud I was used to in the Midwest.

They are Sierra Chapter approved as well as used alot here in the west by other Chapters here and do great in the rocks, and just about anything else, but the mud. For the mud only wheeler, it's hard to choose anything but SS Boggers or some other SS.

I am sitting on 33x 12.50 mickey MTZ's. They have been great in every condition I have had them in. I only have a couple grand worth of miles but so far very nice.

ROBERTK said:
I have to call :bs: sorry..

So you are telling someone that you had 25,000 miles on a Claw and at current rate of wear looking to get an expected 90,000 miles until they are at around 10-20% left?!

:twak:

On a TJ that I used mine on (setup was 4.0, detroits F&R, 35's, manual, about 4100lbs) at around 7000 miles I sold them and they were at best around 40% left. Yes great all around tire, less so in rock and better in mud.

OK, 60% tread left. I'll post pictures later, you can see for yourself. I personally wouldn't drive a tire with less than 50% tread left, but I suppose 'theoretically' you could get 90,000 miles out of a tire, though I certainly won't be the one to try it.

I drove them for two years in Maryland, through the winter, everyday to work, and through some sh*tty roads. Don't even get me started on Annapolis roads. I regularly drove 600+ plus miles in a weekend to and from North Carolina, on average about once a month. Everything from highway to city driving to wheeling.

One of them has a few rips on the sidewall lugs due to rubbing my fenders before I had trimmed them. Other than that, great condition. Only reason I went to AT's is because I drove my North Carolina to San Diego in May, and gas mileage, wear etc would be a lot easier on AT's. I still got my Claws though, and they still work just fine.

Chris

Last edited:
I run 31x10.50 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips. I love them. They have very thick sidewalls and measure about 31.6". Great rubber. Check em out.

Back