• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Bighorns?

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running maxxis bighorns? I'm looking at getting a set of 32 X 11.50's for my Jeep but I do a lot of road driving and have to drive to class and work every day. I did some searching but I couldn't really find a whole lot about how well they do on the road. I drive in the snow, ice, and rain a lot. I'm currently running 31" Trxus MT's and they did great, but they don't make them in a 32" and the Maxxis tires look pretty nice.

+1 Running a set of 35's right now. They ride worlds better on road the the 35" BFG AT's they replaced if that tells you anything.

:cheers: If you like noise the're great. I put 1500 miles on mine, [on my dd] & got sick of the noise & put them on my kids 95. He loves them & they were a lot less money than his MTRs [at least as noisey as the Bighorns] I went back to the Les Schwab all terrains I had before.

I have got around 10k miles on my 33's and they are probably the quietest m/t tires I have run. wear great and they are inexpensive compared to some of the other options out there.

Noise isn't really an issue for me, but I can't imagine they'd be much louder than my TrXus MT's. It seems like everyone is pretty impressed with these tires. Have any of you had any problems with them in the rain or snow?

I run 33's.
Love them.
I'll buy more.

js_customs said:
Is anyone running maxxis bighorns? I'm looking at getting a set of 32 X 11.50's for my Jeep but I do a lot of road driving and have to drive to class and work every day. I did some searching but I couldn't really find a whole lot about how well they do on the road. I drive in the snow, ice, and rain a lot. I'm currently running 31" Trxus MT's and they did great, but they don't make them in a 32" and the Maxxis tires look pretty nice.

Ive heard good things about them, they do make a trxus in a 32, it's just a metric size for a 16" wheel.

I run bighorns on red jeep and Cooper stt on my white one. The coopers are louder. i have not noticed anything in difference between the two. Cost for Bighorns was about $120.00 less overall for four tires total.

:music:

thats my next set of tires i believe

I have 305/75/16 Bighorns, which is about a 33" tire. Got them for an excellent price from Patriot Tire on eBay. Free shipping and no sales tax.

The sidewall is much thicker than the 33" MT/Rs that I ran for a month before blowing a sidewall on the highway. Even after running the Rubicon Trail a couple of months ago, they still look new.

Even though they're MIT, I would buy another set.

Bryson said:
B The sidewalls are near MTR strength
definitely not

they do this...didnt take much at all.

IMG_1644.jpg

I like mine running 35x12.50's. They are a much better tire than the pro comp x-terrains that I had on before and at $600 for 4 to my door off of ebay I couldn't beat the price!! Ive climbed things with them that I've never been able to make up before.

I pretty much agree with everything above: Great deal, low road noise compared to other m/ts, 8k on mine and no noticeable wear besides a tiny bit of chunking. They stick to rocks well and clean out decently in the mud.

As for snow they do pretty well, especially compared to other m/t tires. Deep snow they do really well, packed road snow and ice they are tolerable. I regularly take them down snowmobile trails and they do great. Nothing compares to a real snow tire on packed snow and ice though. I have an extra set I switch out in the winter (winterforce tires).

In rain they were night and day difference between my bfg a/ts. Much better. I would say they are OK in the rain, nothing special though.

For a DD/weekend warrior on a budget they are hard to beat. Are they perfect? No way. When you are trying to do many different things with the same tire you have to compromise and IMO they are the best compromise you can make.

xjohnnyc said:
I have 305/75/16 Bighorns, which is about a 33" tire. Got them for an excellent price from Patriot Tire on eBay. Free shipping and no sales tax.

The sidewall is much thicker than the 33" MT/Rs that I ran for a month before blowing a sidewall on the highway. Even after running the Rubicon Trail a couple of months ago, they still look new.

Even though they're MIT, I would buy another set.

Ditto to above. Same size, same deal on Ebay and very happy w/ them compared to MT/R's I have run in the past.

I'll add....

I purchased mine from C.C. Burgess Tire in Tuckerman, Arkansas.

He was by far the best price I could find. IIRC, I ended up paying around $125 per tire, including shipping.

Back