• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

efi to carborated

SANDTRIBE

NAXJA Forum User
i want to change my 89 4.0 straight 6 to a carborated simple set up for pure off road use and ive been searching on posibilitys but i need some ideas if u think its possible and how or if theres a way to simplifie the stock set up and maby eliminate all the bull shit sensers and all that...

Well, there's always the 258cid I6...out of an 87-90 YJ Wrangler. Then again, there's the very valid recommendation to check the expiration date on that shit you're smoking, because it's gone bad.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Re: efi to carburated

The Renix EFI system may not be the best, but it works Off-Road better than you will get most carburators to work.

The best carburator that I have seen Off-Road is the little Hitachi that came on Samurai trucks. I never did hear the little engine stumble. The worse is, well, pick any Holley 4bbl ;)

Previous info on early YJ/ Scrambler 4.2L engines is good if you want to retro.

Don't like/want EFI? How about propane
Somewhat cheap switch over,
Can run both.
Works good when you go tillty.
Harder to stall then any liquid fuel.
Down side:
Hp down a bit.
Lose 1~2 MPB. This is per buck. Not per gallon/pound.
Harder to find then gas but not as hard as some think.

Last edited:
THANKS 4 THE GUYS WHO HAD POSITIVE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION AND ***** TO THE FIRST TWO WHO THINK IM ON **** FOR ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT CARS VS. EFI .... ITS A LOGICAL QUESTION U DONT GOTTA MAKE RETARD COMMENTS...

No, but it happens when you ask questions that don't make sense on their own. That doesn't mean you can't play nice - explain what you're trying to do, and we can all learn something thereby.

Last edited by a moderator:
SANDTRIBE said:
THANKS 4 THE GUYS WHO HAD POSITIVE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION AND ***** TO THE FIRST TWO WHO THINK IM ON **** FOR ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT CARS VS. EFI .... ITS A LOGICAL QUESTION U DONT GOTTA MAKE RETARD COMMENTS...

WOW!!!!!! calm down buddy :nono:. Are you having problems with you EFI ? I have the same RENIX system in my truck and have found no need to switch. All the "bullshit sensors" make for a more reliable vehicle in almost all situations. I really think you would be dissapointed if you did go over to a carb setup

Last edited by a moderator:
As 5-90 mentioned, the carborater's floats won't work properly when it is not flat. Since you mentioned it will be an off-road vehicle only it will be safe to say it will not be on level ground much of the time. If you are dead set on the carb swap then you should check out www.cliffordperformance.com I'm not sure if you will have to re-wire the signal to the fuel pump. It might be tied into the EFI computer.

~Alex

SANDTRIBE said:
THANKS 4 THE GUYS WHO HAD POSITIVE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION AND FUCK YOU TO THE FIRST TWO WHO THINK IM ON SHIT FOR ASKING A QUESTION ABOUT CARS VS. EFI .... ITS A LOGICAL QUESTION U DONT GOTTA MAKE RETARD COMMENTS...

Did mommy and daddy not give enough hugs? WTF is up with your anger? Granted - opinions can be a bit harshly given around here - but you should either grow up or shut up.

alex22 said:
As 5-90 mentioned, the carborater's floats won't work properly when it is not flat. Since you mentioned it will be an off-road vehicle only it will be safe to say it will not be on level ground much of the time. If you are dead set on the carb swap then you should check out www.cliffordperformance.com I'm not sure if you will have to re-wire the signal to the fuel pump. It might be tied into the EFI computer.

~Alex

You'll have to replace the pump anyhow - since FI pumps run at significantly higher pressure than carb pumps (somewhere around 40-150psig, vice 3-5 for carburetted...) Since you've got to replace the pump, you can probably rewire the relay trigger signal anyhow.

For the OP - calm down. While the approach was bad, the information was valid - especially in tilty situations, you'll be better off with EFI. EFI can also be modified for running propane/LPG anyhow, you'll get more efficient fuel metering (courtesy of "all those BS sensors" - which are mostly standard GM OBD-I parts, and fairly cheap as a result...) greater fuel efficiency (due to the fuel metering,) and other benefits as well.

I'm not saying it's a dumb idea - and I know there are some carb manifolds out there (probably Clifford or HESCO,) but the question stands - why do you want to do the swap? Especially since you'd be spending money to go backwards, rather than forwards. There are better way sto spend the money, y'ask me...

If it's a RENIX setup (1987-1990,) it's worth keeping. The RENIX setup is quite hardy, can adapt to nearly anything, and is easier to understand and troubleshoot than OBD-I (1991-1995.) OBD-II (1996-2001) makes more sense, but specialty tools for troubleshooting are still needed - like a code reader. And you'll still need to have a DMM on hand - which is all you need for RENIX anyhow.

People getting silly is a knee-jerk reaction to not making sense. If you were to explain your motivations more fully, you might get better responses (and you'd get responses point-by-point, which might be more instructive for you as well.)

you don't gotta. oh and they are making the retard comments. ask everyone else in this forum about switching to carb and you will get one of these.!.:D.!. calm down they are just giving you shit. now if you were on here asking what fartcan to put on it then you would be getting made fun of !

Last edited:
SANDTRIBE said:

No, but it happens when you ask questions that don't make sense on their own. That doesn't mean you can't play nice - explain what you're trying to do, and we can all learn something thereby.

We have all learned something in the past, and peeps here tried to share that (1) with you - you took it very poorly and are probably going to act on your own anyways.

(1) Carburators do not work well in offroad vehicles. :)

I am interested in this question as well. My 88 4.0 Elecrical system has been a mess. I even got out the wiring diagram and traced every major wire... I just want the thing to run without a whole lotta money. Any cheap ways to get a carb on it... how about putting the manifold from a 4.2?

djergensen said:
I am interested in this question as well. My 88 4.0 Elecrical system has been a mess. I even got out the wiring diagram and traced every major wire... I just want the thing to run without a whole lotta money. Any cheap ways to get a carb on it... how about putting the manifold from a 4.2?

The ports will *probably* not line up, but I'm not sure.

You'd have to deal with the ignition somehow - as it's tied into the fuel injection setup - but I haven't thought much about that. Ideally, you'd see if you can't get an old 258 dizzy to put on it (should fit,) and then install/adapt the carb manifold to the head. Using the 258 head will probably decrease performance somewhat, by decreasing combustion chamber size (the 242 head on the 258 for better breathing and compression is a common swap. The entire EFI setup is often carried along with the later head.)

I'm sure it's doable, I just haven't figured out what all needs/wants doing. This may not be the best place for research - go with someplace a little more "wide open" like Pirate or JeepForum.

NB: If you go to Pirate to ask about this, make sure it already hasn't been explained. You think this guy got it bad? Asking a question on Pirate that has already been answered (usually in great detail) will get you handed your head in short order...

I can't see any benefit to moving to a carb.

If your wiring is so screwed, sell your Jeep, buy another one. There are plenty out there that work just fine to be had for nearly nothing, especially RENIX era rigs.

Lets not forget that converting it to carburation it won't be street legal in any of the 50 states.. :)

Stallacrew said:
Why not 50 state legal, cal?

messing with emissions equipment. 02 sensors dont work when there's not a computer hooked up to the other end.

Back