• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

repairing a cut sidewall?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to repair a small puncture(1/4") in a tires sidewall?I tried to plug it but that didn't hold.
The tire in question is a BFG A/T.Do tire shops have some kind of hella strong vulcanizing repair or am I limited to trying a Patch?

The tire is usually junk because the sidewall flexes a lot and the patch will not flex enough which will cause leaks.
Some people have fixed their bad sidewall by bringing it somewhere that fixes semi truck tires.

I have always heard the same thing.......can't afford a new tire right now though.
I wonder if tire shops have some kind of hot plug or something....

Yeah not even the Mexican tire shop would fix the small leak I had in the side wall.

and you know when they dont work on it, its screwed. :D

I've done the tubes many times before over the years. Take the tire off, break one bead with your front bumper and a high lift. Stick in your tube and air up. I have one tire now that has about 20K on the tubed radial

repairing a sidewall is a no-no, sidewall damage often causes blowouts

outlander said:
Is it possible to repair a small puncture(1/4") in a tires sidewall?I tried to plug it but that didn't hold.
The tire in question is a BFG A/T.Do tire shops have some kind of hella strong vulcanizing repair or am I limited to trying a Patch?

Find a Bandag or some other recap shop that works with commercial truck tires. If the damage isn't too severe, they may be able to put in a "section" repair (basically a giant patch, with some grinding work and new rubber to try to secure the damaged belts, which they then run through the pressure cooker to vulcanize.). If there isn't any belt damage, a plug may work. However, if you've cut a belt, or several, you may be SOL.

I had a small stick go right in the sidewall of my lil toyota beater truck, I left the stick in till I got home. I pulled the stick out got a small screw about the same size primered that with urthane primer cleaned off the tire and primered that spot put the urthane on the screw threads stuck it in put a small amount of urthane on top to cover (this was on inside wall of tire) Was going to get it changed, but 2 years later never had one problem or air leak. Beat the hell out of that thing offroading with the patch in there too.

Even if you use a tube you still need to put a boot over the cut, otherwise the flexing of the sidewall will pinch the innertube in the cut. A boot is a large flexible patch on the inside of the sidewall. Have you priced large radial tubes lately? All this is way too much money for a margial repair! A tube is ok for a trail fix but even a nail hole in a sidewall is the kiss of death for street use. Radial tires just have too much flex in the sidewalls for a repair to hold. I usually say "this is just my opinion" but these are facts, not just an opinion. Besides it's just a BFG A/T. Get some real tires.That IS just my opinion though.You can have it patched & use it for a matching spare, I did that with an almost new 35" once.

outlander said:
Where might I find a tube?
You might need to call different tire shops. :callme:
Years ago when I had one done...several shops was telling me that they did not have tubes that would fit my tire :guitar: ......It was a ploy I heard, not to get involved in doing it.
They might not have the exact tube but they will have one that will work.:thumbup:

cherokee chuck said:
Even if you use a tube you still need to put a boot over the cut, otherwise the flexing of the sidewall will pinch the innertube in the cut. A boot is a large flexible patch on the inside of the sidewall.
And what he said...............

Last edited:
cherokee chuck said:
Even if you use a tube you still need to put a boot over the cut, otherwise the flexing of the sidewall will pinch the innertube in the cut. A boot is a large flexible patch on the inside of the sidewall. Have you priced large radial tubes lately? All this is way too much money for a margial repair! A tube is ok for a trail fix but even a nail hole in a sidewall is the kiss of death for street use. Radial tires just have too much flex in the sidewalls for a repair to hold. I usually say "this is just my opinion" but these are facts, not just an opinion. Besides it's just a BFG A/T. Get some real tires.That IS just my opinion though.You can have it patched & use it for a matching spare, I did that with an almost new 35" once.
Yea looks like the tube is going to be around $25.
I have a set of swamper ltb's....these are my daily-get to and from work-tires.
Thanks for the input.....

Last edited:
Back