• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to armor first

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to start buying my skid plates soon and was wondering which ones to get first. Right now I am looking at the gas tank skid first, diff covers, rocker guards then a t-case skid. since money is tight, I can only buy one at a time but some is better then none.

109ace said:
I am getting ready to start buying my skid plates soon and was wondering which ones to get first. Right now I am looking at the gas tank skid first, diff covers, rocker guards then a t-case skid. since money is tight, I can only buy one at a time but some is better then none.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Most people will tell you to armor up before doing much else if your intention is to do offroading. They will also tell you to put the tcase skid very high on your priority list. As for the front diff skid, seems to me if I guy is going to put one on he should also think about lower control arm protection. If you will be using the XJ in such a way as to endanger the diff, you may be banging on the CA mounts as well.

For the skids mentioned I would do the gas tank first, then TC, then rockers, then diff's, then trans.

Transfer case, then sliders. I damaged my rockers long before my gas tank. This doesn't mean you don't need a gas tank skid, it's just in my experience rockers get damaged more than gas tanks, but obviously a gas tank is more essential than rockers, Control arm skids are a good low buck investment also. Engine/trans skids will come last on my list of essentials but they are essential for moderate wheeling. Every thing else is just more good stuff to have, not essential unless you get real serious, then I would think a cage would be next.

Find a factory t-case skid and gas tank skid. These are cheap in the boneyard and will do the job until you can upgrade them as funds permit. I'm still running a stock gas tank skid, and it's holding up very well.

Probably the biggest expenditure will be the rock rails. But definitely get some as soon as possible. You can do some damage to your rocker panels when you least expect it.

go to the Junk yard. find a gas tank skid look for a T case "skid" on the same XJ. The T case one is more of a plate than a real Skid. but it offers some kinda protection I guess.

Either way if you can get yer stuff at a yard, your wallet will thank you.

109ace said:

It depends on what type of wheeling you plan to do....rocks, mud, sand???

Which t-case do you have? The 242 hangs much lower than the 231, so if you have 242 t-case should be first.

Is your rig also a DD? If cosmetics are important you should also put sliders high on the list.

Do you have good recovery points? Some new bumpers with adequate recovery points are a necesity.

Do you have a stock tie rod? If you plan to run rocks you should upgrade to at least a solid ZJ tie rod.

I have a 242 case...I was going to get a t-case skid...and I still want one, but have found it to not be much of a problem...I'm just really careful on my line placement.

However I have put on sliders. (in Washington we have tight trails + trees). A T-case skid is next on my list though, since my gas tank is already banged up...I'm not to worried about it.

It all depends on where you live I think though.

Instead of armoring first I got the lift, tires, and recovery points...because where I live without good tread you wont get anywhere. And to get the good tread I needed a lift, and of course recovery points are a must to go wheeling.

Just my $.02

~Scott

I already have a 3in lift and the only real recovery point is my hitch. A new front bumper is already on my list. It is a DD but does see trail use, the sliders I want so my doors will shut. I am in VT and there are a lot of rocks on some trails that I go on, havent had a problem so far but I would rather be safe.

Mstrkage said:
:gee:

J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket!

my wife is learning that acronym as we speak! fender hood header lights bumper=$$$$$$

I already have experience with empting my wallet, 2k already spent on repairs to keep it running right. My parents bought it new in 98 and I took it over from them back in high school, been loosing money on it ever since but loving every minute of it.

1. Rockrails
2. T-case
3. Gas tank
4. Diff covers

Depends on the terrain and how difficult the wheeling you do is.

But my rock rails are always singing to me on 31s.

If your gonna do rocks then sliders, T Case skid and gas tank skid and diff gaurds should be priority first. Even the best line taken could be a bad line, tires can slide off a rock, ya just never know. Any protection after that is just an added benifit.

I am glad some one else started this thread... now I know what to armor first... second... and so on.

Back